FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LCA Lower Control Arm options

My VIN:    17007

LCA Lower Control Arm options

Not sure if this is a loaded question but just in case there is any doubt about twisting , take a look at these pics. After exploring replacement options (which are many to choose) What is the popular choice for replacing. I see there is also a brace, is that sufficient? or should the LCA be replaced along with the brace.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

DPI stainless. Done.

But it looks like you hit something?
    Last edited by dn010; 12-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    DPI stainless. Done.

But it looks like you hit something?
    Tuff to show in a picture but in person it clearly looks like the LCA made contact with the frame on both passenger and driver side.

To me it looks like the plate on the frame took a hit and was bent upwards into the LCA. Picture one shows it dented upwards into the LCA. Take a ruler and lay it across the plate under the LCA and see what you get. The only way the LCA will hit the frame is if A the plate took damage upward or B you’re running aftermarket shocks that allow the LCA to travel much lower than stock (Hervey shocks).
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not readily apparent in the pictures what happened. For both LCA's to hit like that the car had to have hit something hard. That is NOT the typical "twisting" we see with the LCA's.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    To me it looks like the plate on the frame took a hit and was bent upwards into the LCA. Picture one shows it dented upwards into the LCA. Take a ruler and lay it across the plate under the LCA and see what you get. The only way the LCA will hit the frame is if A the plate took damage upward or B you’re running aftermarket shocks that allow the LCA to travel much lower than stock (Hervey shocks).
    Nope bone stock. Its ironic that the marks are in the same spot on both sides. I heard of flexing LCA but no clue on how or where it flex. However, I believe they should be changed out anyways, thanks for looking. I'll get some better pics this weekend just for reference. Going stainless could lead to more problem like.......getting more stainless. A Delorean owner once said it was like saying I'm just getting one tattoo and the next think you know you have five. There stainless stuff is sure good looking.

You can see on the LCAs and frame that it contacted something. The dirt is gone and in one photo there is bare metal on the LCA. Like driving over a parking block and then trying to back off it. I can only recommend DPIs LCAs because I have them. They’ve been on my car and I’ve had no issues with them under some spirited driving. Your choices are stainless, aluminum or boxed in originals as far as I know. But again, this does not look like it has anything to do with the arms, looks like contact damage to me. Your arms are repairable.
    Last edited by dn010; 12-18-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Those LCAs are probably making contact with the frame whenever you lift the car.

I agree, but I also see all the photos showing the plate on the frame bent up. Bend it back. Fix whatever damage it gave the LCAs. Paint it all. Keep on driving. You don’t need upgraded arms unless you want them.
    Last edited by dn010; 12-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The frame can be straightened but if the LCA's are twisted or bent they can be straightened too but they should be reinforced by being "boxed". The whole front end should be inspected for damage and to do a proper job it should be disassembled. Since you cannot properly inspect the ball joints for hidden damage, for safety they should be replaced after a hit like that. The car should also get on an alignment rack to make sure it is still in "spec". The front tires and rims should also be carefully inspected.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast