http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?68...=lower+control
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Why no replication of the Mike Loasby lower wishbone LCA

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Just shows that there are quite a few solutions for the front suspension.

I have DMC Go's beefed up LCA's and the SS outriggers on my car, it certainly feels more comfortable under the combination of relatively heavy breaking and turning. I'm not racing my car or an aggressive driver but as part of my daily commute I have to leave the motorway onto a sweeping left hand corner at the same time as reducing from 70/80mph to 30mph, and it's noticably better in that situation than when it was all OEM up front.

I'm still slightly surprised that none of the vendors have fabricated Mike Loasby's design for the LCA, his prototype was effectively a upper control arm and lower control arm fused together, it appears to be an elegant solution which could be relatively easily replicated. Presumably as the man involved with the DMC suspension Mike thought this was a good upgrade?

I think Rob Grady has Mike's prototype set up on one of his personal cars?

J
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 12-29-2018 at 06:01 AM.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The whole front end suspension was an engineering compromise using Lotus's designs of the period. While it has it's drawbacks, it is an efficient and functional design. It can be improved but is it worth it? Most owners are not racing competitively and the car is not a daily driver so it isn't abused and is used infrequently. Hard to justify spending a lot on it.
    Yes. Yes, it is absolutely worth it. I'm one of those people who once upon a time made my car a daily driver (would love to do so again), and admittedly drive it very hard. I don't slow down for most speed bumps & dips, and I have the bent LCAs to prove it.

In fact, I'm looking for as many upgrades as possible for whatever my car can get. It's pretty much the last sports car I'll ever own, and it's far cheaper to upgrade it than trading-in a car every few years.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    I'm still slightly surprised that none of the vendors have fabricated Mike Loasby's design for the LCA, his prototype was effectively a upper control arm and lower control arm fused together, it appears to be an elegant solution which could be relatively easily replicated. Presumably as the man involved with the DMC suspension Mike thought this was a good upgrade?

I think Rob Grady has Mike's prototype set up on one of his personal cars?

J
    I paid a visit to Rob a couple of weeks ago to drop off a pair of my LCA braces for him to try. He told me that he was indeed testing Mike's setup on his car. I don't know how long he plans to do it for, but with winter setting into Long Island I can't believe he'll do much driving.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I paid a visit to Rob a couple of weeks ago to drop off a pair of my LCA braces for him to try. He told me that he was indeed testing Mike's setup on his car. I don't know how long he plans to do it for, but with winter setting into Long Island I can't believe he'll do much driving.
    I thought Rob had actually had them in place for some time?

Either way given that Mike Loasby made them years back I'm surprised that no one has tried to replicate them in some way, surely upper and lower wishbone + ARB set up is preferential to a single lower arm and ARB even when supported with aftermarket outriggers.

Seeing as most people probably upgrade the LCA at the same time as adding the out riggers you are already committing £££ ($$$) so you would think that a lower wishbone would not be that much more expensive than purchasing new LCA's and an outrigger kit, cherry on the top would be if the LCA/Wishbone was adjustable for camber.

J

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The whole front end suspension was an engineering compromise using Lotus's designs of the period. While it has it's drawbacks, it is an efficient and functional design.....
    +1

I don't have a position on LCA's vs stock. Agreeing with David about the history and qualities of the front suspension.

For reference here are links to two random videos showing how a stock DeLorean front suspension and an LCA'd front suspension perform, in particular under braking:

Stock with highest braking at ~0:30

With LCA mod with braking at 0:37, 1:03 and 1:30

Not meant to prove anything in either case. These videos don't constitute a controlled comparison - in part because the deceleration/braking rates aren't known.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3