FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hoovies garage buys a Delorean for 14k

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Even with cheap labor and cheap parts he got himself in over $10K and he still has a long way to go. The interior and the A/C are the biggies but there will be a tn of other little things all over if he really want to sort the car out like the window regulators, the louvre, etc. Where did he get tires for $385? He lucked out with the transmission though. By the time he is done he will have $30K in it and that is just about what the market is for that car unless it is really spotless and perfect and complete.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Even with cheap labor and cheap parts he got himself in over $10K and he still has a long way to go. The interior and the A/C are the biggies but there will be a tn of other little things all over if he really want to sort the car out like the window regulators, the louvre, etc. Where did he get tires for $385? He lucked out with the transmission though. By the time he is done he will have $30K in it and that is just about what the market is for that car unless it is really spotless and perfect and complete.
    +1

His eventual return on investment will depend a lot on (a) when he decides enough is enough in terms of perfecting the car and (b) what else comes up in the meantime.
    Last edited by Rich; 03-02-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think some of you are missing the point. Even if the D is a wash don't forget the goal is ratings and views. The idea was not to make a profit off the DeLorean. The D was just a tool to achieve income generated by views which may or may not generate 6 figures + annually irregardless of what the D sells for (assuming he does sell it).

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think some of you are missing the point. Even if the D is a wash don't forget the goal is ratings and views. The idea was not to make a profit off the DeLorean. The D was just a tool to achieve income generated by views which may or may not generate 6 figures + annually irregardless of what the D sells for (assuming he does sell it).
    Exactly. He often talks about how he loses money on flipping all the cars he documents. But that’s not how he makes his money anyway. I’m sure he bought the DeLorean not just because it was cheap; but because it’s such a halo vehicle these days. Oddly enough, the ASC/McLaren Grand Prix he bought recently is handily outpacing his DeLorean viewership, though.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I totally agree the goal is not to make money on the car, it's the eyeballs and the clicks that make the money. BUT, we can take away the facts. He found a cheap car, and it cost him a lot to make it worth what he could have bought a good runner for. The big gamble is when you buy a non-runner you can't know what it is going to take to make it a runner. The motor could be cooked, the transmission could be wasted, nothing works, etc. At least when you buy a runner you can actually try it out and see what works and what doesn't. He also has access to cheap, honest labor and tries to get parts at bargain prices. Many new buyers will buy such a car and go to one of the Delorean vendors and get sick when they find out what they really bought and what it is going to take to make it nice. Then they get all angry at the shop and think they are getting robbed. Or they take it to their local shop who never saw a Delorean before but is willing to work (learn) on it. Their rate may be cheap but they will waste a lot of time learning what to do. This story gets repeated again and again and not just with Deloreans. As it turns out he overpaid for the car to begin with because the transmission was bad and because it didn't run there was no way to know. Does anyone on this forum think that car was worth $15K? Hoovie did!
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    No idea who this guy is but the second he sat on the hood i turned it off lol.
    Last edited by zimvsdib; 03-03-2019 at 03:58 AM.

My VIN:    16985

Hoovies channel is interesting and usually enjoyable to watch for the most part, but his DeLorean story leaves me with a major question. If he had such a difficult time finding parts and information at the beginning of the restoration process, how had he compiled enough statistics to state repeatedly and with confidence that he had in fact purchased the cheapest DeLorean in the country?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee01 View Post
    If he had such a difficult time finding parts and information at the beginning of the restoration process, how had he compiled enough statistics to state repeatedly and with confidence that he had in fact purchased the cheapest DeLorean in the country?
    It makes for a great tag line. Forget about facts, this is not unlike today's journalism

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It makes for a great tag line. Forget about facts, this is not unlike today's journalism
    Exactly....
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2