FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What bulkhead connector is this, and temp gauge TS-ing

My VIN:    5312

What bulkhead connector is this, and temp gauge TS-ing

Hey all, recently got my car back but while waiting for my title to come to me from california ive been starting the car every 3rd day. I recently installed the auto air bleed kit from Toby. I have seen the temp gauge work, and was venting the air to get all the air out of the system. It was a pretty cold night but i let the car idle and went for an around the block drive for about 15 minutes and the temp gauge did not budge at all. I figured the temp sensor could possibly either A: not be connected or have come loose , or B: its gone bad( i doubt and i believe i had it replaced in 2014 when i first became the new owner). Regardless While trying to get a good angle to look at the temp sensor without removing the air filter, i found a connector thats disconnected. Does anyone know what connector this is? I looked at pictures of the temp sensor and figure its probably a single spade connector but does anyone know what color the wire itself is? Thanks for reading my long post!
    Attached Images
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Is your car an auto or manual? Some plugs are not used on the former and used on the latter and vice versa. If memory serves that plug is not used on autos (i'd go out to check but it's freezing out right now)

Your temp. gauge problem may be up at the instrument cluster. Do all of your other gauges and warning lights work?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The temp sensor wire should be Blue with a Green stripe.
    You can test the gauge and circuit by connecting and disconnecting the wire. (The needle should move back and forth.)

Several schematics in the Resources section HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Is your car an auto or manual? Some plugs are not used on the former and used on the latter and vice versa. If memory serves that plug is not used on autos (i'd go out to check but it's freezing out right now)

Your temp. gauge problem may be up at the instrument cluster. Do all of your other gauges and warning lights work?
    5 speed, stage 1 and every other gauge works completely fine.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Off the top of my head, I don’t know what that plug is for, and I’m home from work today watching two toddlers, so no time to look in the schematics or look deep on my car, but I did run to the garage real quick while they were eating chips and snapped this picture.

The other side of the plug has 3 wires, and they appear to go into this wire bundle just aft of the clutch slave.

Hope that helps right now.
    Attached Images
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Off the top of my head, I don’t know what that plug is for, and I’m home from work today watching two toddlers, so no time to look in the schematics or look deep on my car, but I did run to the garage real quick while they were eating chips and snapped this picture.

The other side of the plug has 3 wires, and they appear to go into this wire bundle just aft of the clutch slave.

Awesome I will go check them out at my car tonight and come up with a plan. It worked last time i took the car for a short drive around the block. This helps alot, thank you! Ill dig through ther schematics too. I dont think that plug was ever plugged in and i am sure it has absolutely nothing to do with my gauge issue but i saw it and was like hmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post

Your car is alsoa 5 speed, it may be a plug related for automatic transmissions maybe? hmm Notice in that pic yours is plugged into nothing so hey no worries.

My VIN:    3937

Wasn't there a suggestion for gently whacking the side of the binnacle to fix a stuck temperature gauge needle? I searched quickly and didn't find anything. It might have been suggested for the volt gauge though, I don't really remember the details. I do recall it being on the left side of the cluster though. Another idea anyway as you try and figure it out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Your car is alsoa 5 speed, it may be a plug related for automatic transmissions maybe? hmm Notice in that pic yours is plugged into nothing so hey no worries.
    Both mine and Riley88’s are 5-speeds.
    Mine is plugged into a plug, with 3 wires, and it leads towards the harness I circled. It is tough to see in thatvpicture itis plugged in, but it def is.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Red paired with a Black is usually for a capacitor.
    The colors for the other 3 wires will tell you what it is for...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast