FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Turning circle, can I fit a different steering rack?

Turning circle, can I fit a different steering rack?

For me, the turning circle is a bit of a PITA. Whilst doing the firewall/bulkhead steering rubber bush I looked at the space the front wheels have. It seems the rear of the tyre could come into the body by another 2 inches without difficulty and the front could, if the anti roll bar was of a different design.
    When going shopping I can't swing into a parking bay at 90 degrees and need 2 goes at it (I'll double check the alignment and track rod ends).
    Anyone suggested a "fix"?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Turning circle, can I fit a different steering rack?

Probably the easiest fix, but somewhat expensive, would be to install an electric power steering unit. It won’t decrease the turning radius, but it will make maneuvering for parking a much easier task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, it's a known issue.

Haven't heard of any mods to improve a D's turning radius.

A workaround for tight spots: Back the DeLorean into the space when parking at 90 deg.

It makes a big difference. This technique helps with any car due to more favorable geometry.
    (Be sure it's not forbidden by local ordinance or signage)
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For a small car the Delorean does have a wide turning radius. Make sure you have the correct tire pressure, low and it makes it harder to turn the wheel. Also try to move the car as you turn the wheels, it makes it a bit easier. I do not know of any mod to make the turning radius smaller. Even with the electric power steering you would not get a smaller turning radius but it would make maneuvering easier. One of the quirks you must get used to, like the lack of vision towards the rear when driving a Delorean. You need to keep a heightened sense of your surroundings as you drive because of the large blind spots.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1768

I installed a 1st generation Mazda miata non power rack in my car. I had to widen it something like 80mm, custom mounts, modified miata steering joints with Delorean shaft and upper splines, subaru Justy tie rod ends. Minor trimming was needed in the frame extension to make it work. ill see if I can dig up some pics.

This significantly reduced my turning radius, I could do a U turn on a residential 2 lane street and not hit the curbs. The miata rack has more turns lock to lock but also more travel. Now that I went to a square set uup for my wheels, 15x8 front and rear, my steering is about as bad as stock since the inner rim hits the swaybar again. Figuring out a new sway bar next.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    I installed a 1st generation Mazda miata non power rack in my car. I had to widen it something like 80mm, custom mounts, modified miata steering joints with Delorean shaft and upper splines, subaru Justy tie rod ends. Minor trimming was needed in the frame extension to make it work. ill see if I can dig up some pics.

This significantly reduced my turning radius, I could do a U turn on a residential 2 lane street and not hit the curbs. The miata rack has more turns lock to lock but also more travel. Now that I went to a square set uup for my wheels, 15x8 front and rear, my steering is about as bad as stock since the inner rim hits the swaybar again. Figuring out a new sway bar next.

Did you need to put a new anti roll bar in? On mine, there's about 1" gap when on full lock between the tyre and anti roll bar. If a different anti roll bar is available, then a different rack could solve the problem.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mickdavies View Post
    Did you need to put a new anti roll bar in? On mine, there's about 1" gap when on full lock between the tyre and anti roll bar. If a different anti roll bar is available, then a different rack could solve the problem.
    Clint and I need to get off our asses and design one! Ideally accompanied by A-Arm style LCAs

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1768

Agreed Josh, I'm taking measurements of swaybars on cars that roll in my work and go on the lift. Granted this is limited to Bmws and VWs but there are a few promising looking ones I could go buy used for cheap at the local dismantler. They have piles of sway bars I could try.

Mickdavies no I'm still running my factory junk swaybar, it is the current issue stopping me from reaping all the benefits of that Mx5 rack.