FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Passenger window has too much play

My VIN:    5482

Passenger window has too much play

My passenger window has never worked since I've owned the car. After digging-in I found the motor to be fine and the problem was the rear defroster rocker switch wires were plugged into the passenger window switch and vice versa. So now the window rolls up and down but there is too much play and it doesn't roll up and down properly, especially up. I started looking at the driver window, which works as designed but can't see anything obviously different about the two. I did take the window out and made sure both the forward and aft clips were on the channels.

What am I missing? Here's a video showing the "play" in the window.

https://youtu.be/zEYX2WkgZII
    Jeff

My VIN:    3937

Will it still do that when the support bracket is installed?

http://store.delorean.com/p-9868-sup...-lower-rh.aspx

Are your wipe seals present and in good shape? Outer and inner?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Will it still do that when the support bracket is installed?

http://store.delorean.com/p-9868-sup...-lower-rh.aspx

Are your wipe seals present and in good shape? Outer and inner?
    Hey Jonathan. Yes that bracket being installed has no effect on the window play.

The outer wipe seal is there, albeit old. The inner wipe seal, I'm not sure because there's not a pic on the store link. I assume I'm just looking for a fuzzy-ish seal on the inner side of the door and window. What I feel is missing is something that puts outward pressure on the window so it can stay inline and roll up and down properly.
    Jeff

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Make sure the drop glass is installed on the guides inside the doors. The video would be helpful with the bracket installed to see how much play it has- it will still have some.

If your outer wipe seals are old and hardened that may be your problem, they'll be pushing your glass inwards. I'd suggest to replace the outer seals with NEW ones from Delorean Go. DO NOT USE DMCH seals! I made this costly mistake. DMCH seals cost $72+ shipping for NOS, old, shrunken so they don't even fit correctly and they're hard as rocks now 30+ years later. The adhesive on them is dried up so I used double sided tape. Once I installed them, filled in the huge gaps left by the shrunken rubber with RTV, I realized they are so hard they push my window glass inwards that I had to push out on the glass to get the windows closed. A waste of money, time and effort. I should have gone with Delorean Go seals first, the only down side is they don't come with the stainless strip if that matters to you, you'd need to use your old ones.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Early

I've had this issue with my drivers window for a long time. I tried everything to no avail, so I decided to just live with it...

Good luck
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The guide brackets inside the door that the window guides slide on are adjustable, you can try to unbolt them and rotate them to force the window ‘outwards’ more.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    The guide brackets inside the door that the window guides slide on are adjustable, you can try to unbolt them and rotate them to force the window ‘outwards’ more.
    Yea I figured this out over the weekend. The mounting bolts for the rails have elongated holes, which seems to give me better outward tension on the glass. There is still some play but it is better. I put the upper bracket back on after examining the seals. I'll put some power to it this week and see how it operates.
    Jeff