FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Long story short, a friend of mine past away suddenly and his mother is liquidating his estate. Everything is being done through the courts as while there were substantial assets there was also some debt as one would expect with a man in his 40's.

The Delorean is one of the assets being offered to friends and family first to avoid the action expenses as well as maybe give the car a home to someone close.

I will tell you it's a California car in very good condition last time I drove it (4 years ago), the car did sit some in recent times due to his illness but I have no reason to doubt it's current condition warrants any major concerns.

Being it's the holidays and all I don't expect any real action to be taken until the 3rd of Jan at the soonest, once a winning bid is awarded the car, paperwork, transporting the car etc has to all take place, so I'm figuring 1 month time table at best.

I'll update as I can if members here show an interest in the process.

Peace.

By the way, it's an 81, 5 speed, grey interior, no gas flap hood. Engine upgraded, not by DMC but from all I know pretty much to the specs of a stage II. He used a shop in LA that does lots of Delorean work.

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Long story short, a friend of mine past away suddenly and his mother is liquidating his estate. Everything is being done through the courts as while there were substantial assets there was also some debt as one would expect with a man in his 40's.

The Delorean is one of the assets being offered to friends and family first to avoid the action expenses as well as maybe give the car a home to someone close.

I will tell you it's a California car in very good condition last time I drove it (4 years ago), the car did sit some in recent times due to his illness but I have no reason to doubt it's current condition warrants any major concerns.

Being it's the holidays and all I don't expect any real action to be taken until the 3rd of Jan at the soonest, once a winning bid is awarded the car, paperwork, transporting the car etc has to all take place, so I'm figuring 1 month time table at best.

I'll update as I can if members here show an interest in the process.

Peace.

By the way, it's an 81, 5 speed, grey interior, no gas flap hood. Engine upgraded, not by DMC but from all I know pretty much to the specs of a stage II. He used a shop in LA that does lots of Delorean work.
    keep us updated sounds very interesting! 81 so I will assume it has a grooved hood, im interested in the engine work. Post photos if you win!
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are the lucky winner expect to have to change all of the fluids and filters, battery, and tires at a minimum. With California being so strict in it's emissions regs I wonder what "engine work" was or can be done and still keep the car legal in CA. This kind of situation (disposing of a deceased's estate) can take a while so don't expect much anytime soon. Among the items you want to get along with the car are:
    A "clean" Title
    2 sets of keys (depending on how early an '81 it might have as many as 3 keys per set. A door key, an ignition key, and a fuel tank key).
    A spare tire along with the jack and lug wrench in a roll in the forward luggage compartment
    Floor mats
    Whatever documents, spare parts, and tools, cover, and other accessories you can find.
    In the meantime ask to inspect the car so you can make a proper bid. Check the glass, the S/S panels, the interior, the frame, etc. Even better if you can test drive it but it probably doesn't have insurance on it. If you have the time, offer to "clean it up". That may get you an "inside track" and motivate them to accept your bid even if it isn't the highest. They may like the idea that it will be taken care of by an enthusiast. Put air in the tires, fresh gas in the tank, charge up the battery and wipe the car down inside and out. In the meantime you can get your finances in order. Budget more than just the money to purchase the car, you need to set aside enough to fix it up too. Don't forget all of the fees to MV, taxes, and insurance. Good Luck!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3028

It’s too bad about your friend, in your 40s is way too young.
    Barry

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    It’s too bad about your friend, in your 40s is way too young.
    +1
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you are the lucky winner expect to have to change all of the fluids and filters, battery, and tires at a minimum. With California being so strict in it's emissions regs I wonder what "engine work" was or can be done and still keep the car legal in CA. This kind of situation (disposing of a deceased's estate) can take a while so don't expect much anytime soon. Among the items you want to get along with the car are:
    A "clean" Title
    2 sets of keys (depending on how early an '81 it might have as many as 3 keys per set. A door key, an ignition key, and a fuel tank key).
    A spare tire along with the jack and lug wrench in a roll in the forward luggage compartment
    Floor mats
    Whatever documents, spare parts, and tools, cover, and other accessories you can find.
    In the meantime ask to inspect the car so you can make a proper bid. Check the glass, the S/S panels, the interior, the frame, etc. Even better if you can test drive it but it probably doesn't have insurance on it. If you have the time, offer to "clean it up". That may get you an "inside track" and motivate them to accept your bid even if it isn't the highest. They may like the idea that it will be taken care of by an enthusiast. Put air in the tires, fresh gas in the tank, charge up the battery and wipe the car down inside and out. In the meantime you can get your finances in order. Budget more than just the money to purchase the car, you need to set aside enough to fix it up too. Don't forget all of the fees to MV, taxes, and insurance. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the great advice.

Being this car is being offered to "friends and family" first the mom knows who enjoyed the car and who just liked the novelty of it. Along with my offer was a letter, a photo (3) of my garage along with our other cars (C-300, MKZ, Plymouth Prowler), In the letter and subsequent phone conversations it became evident there are 3 front runners for the car, I am among those 3, my best friend is one of the others and I am pretty sure a family member is the 3rd person. I doubt the car will go to the highest bidder unless the highest bidder also happens to be the one that will keep the car within the circle as well.

I think I came up with a very creative offer, which I will disclose once the bidding is over and the car is delivered, wherever that may be. The problem and benefit (to me) is that not everyone has the cash needed to pull this off around the holidays and all bids were made via certified bank check.

I actually made 2 offers, one was a straight cash for car deal, the other was the creative one, I actually got a phone response from the mom on that offer and am feeling comfortable at this point, not overly confidant being I'm not family, but comfortable.

Thank you for offering up the words of support for my friend, it was a sad ending for a fine man, generous, charming, and humble. It's a shame what life throws at some people. I hope whoever gets to hold his car treats it as he had, Eric was a good man.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

My best advice is to be patient. Even if the family makes a decision the lawyer(s) must OK it. That can take a while. Especially if someone challenges the decision. That's why I said you could offer to make sure it is kept in good condition in the meantime.
    David Teitelbaum

Just to update anyone following this thread, I just spoke with the mother, she is meeting with family this weekend and should be making a choice during this time. She didn't give me any encouraging nod or discouraging shrug, just a matter of fact type call. Kind of scared me off a little being my offer is not cash heavy.

I don't really know what her ultimate goal is for the car, but I'm giving it my best in hopes she'll see it as I do. Fingers crossed, it's going to be a long wait for me until next Monday.

My VIN:    10353

My thoughts are that since family is involved, that's who will end up with the car. Easier to avoid family drama that way. Good luck though.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

In a case like this and making a lot of assumptions, I would guess at least one member of her family will overvalue it and want it, only to flip it for what he/she perceives to be a quick buck. Whenever someone with wealth dies and has extended family, a collector car will get at least one member seeing dollar signs. I would even go as far to see a fight/bidding war over it between the members of the family.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast