Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Now that's funny!

Will you settle for a high five?
    No SpecialT hacks allowed here

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

What you *could* do is offer a "Right of First Refusal" meaning if you decide to sell the car and get an offer of $30,000 from a potential buyer, the family can have the car if they match it. If they happen to be in California and they have to get the car shipped back they may not feel it is worth it and let it go. That would be fairer. If you got it for $15K and it is in as good a condition as you say, you got a great deal even if you have to spend a few bucks on shipping and fixing it up.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Whoa woo! Just told today that the car is mine! I'm cautiously optimistic as until the title is in my hand and car in my driveway with NJ plates on it anything can happen.

My friends mom called and said the car is mine, that she'd deposit the check tomorrow and proceed to send the title to me. The problem I have (not the end of the world) is I'm leaving on the 21st for a long planned 10 day vacation out of the country. So she's going to have to hold the car at least until Feb 1st.

In the mean time if any of you care to share the name of a reliable shipping company I'd gladly look into them, shipping would be from northern Ca. to northern NJ.

I also am concerned that during the time it takes to get the title from the attorney and on it's way to me, arms may get twisted and minds changed, but it is the situation I'm in and no sense worrying over something I have no control over.

Mom did say my rather unique offer is what put the deal in my favor. The short of the offer is this, I offered her, her family and then other friends (all named) first right of refusal if I ever decided to sell the car and for the same price I paid for the car.

I see this as a win, win. I get to use the car and will recoup my cost, at a minimum and if no family or friend has the money I can then sell for a profit if one presents itself. One step at a time for the moment, hoping to have the title in hand before I depart for my trip, fingers crossed.
    Congrats on getting the car!

I just wanted to help with recommending a shipping company. I had 4 Corners Transport ship my DeLorean from Southern California to Long Island, NY in December 2016 in an enclosed tractor trailer for $1454. It would have been about $400 cheaper to use an open carrier, but I decided enclosed was better. It took about 7 days to ship the car coast-to-coast.

https://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com/

I worked with Ellen. The car was on the same truck coast-to-coast, and the driver even covered my car in plastic for the duration of the trip.

-Nick

I used enclosed transport too and recommend it BUT. When the car was delivered it was COVERED with a very fine brown sand inside and out, probably from the desert. First thing I had to do was wash and vacuum the car. Enclosed transport does not mean hermetically sealed. Even if the car is transported in the same trailer by the same driver it is still possible the car was loaded and unloaded a few times to load and unload other cars. Depending on when and where the truck is going it can take as little as 3 days and as long as 2 weeks. Unless you are lucky enough to be the last one loaded and the first one unloaded it can take a while. Get some quotes and compare pricing and service. Among the top ones are Horseless Carriage, Passport. Intercity, Reliable, Premier, Autobahn, among many others. If they don't offer tracking it probably means it is a broker and they may use multiple carriers and they don't want you to see it. The "big" guys are proud of their service and WANT you to see how they are doing. Of course premium service deserves premium charges so they will never be as cheap as fly-by-night movers. Since you are only doing this one time, saving a few bucks is not worth the aggravation of losing or damaging the car (IMHO).
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks guys, I'm following up on horseless carriage and will check out four corners too.

My VIN:    04629

Car Haulers

About Time, Do your homework carefully, I shipped my car from Hilo,HI and it didn't arrive @ my home for almost 5 weeks!

This was 25+ years ago, before any kind of tracking was available and the carrier had no way of contacting the driver(or so they told me back in the day)

Go for enclosed(mine wasn't) trailer, insured with tracking and be very patient. I was close to heart attack material!! Car did arrive in fine shape, never again....

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    About Time, Do your homework carefully, I shipped my car from Hilo,HI and it didn't arrive @ my home for almost 5 weeks!

This was 25+ years ago, before any kind of tracking was available and the carrier had no way of contacting the driver(or so they told me back in the day)

Go for enclosed(mine wasn't) trailer, insured with tracking and be very patient. I was close to heart attack material!! Car did arrive in fine shape, never again....
    Because your shipping required a boat, a big chunk of the job had to done by a third party (the boat) and your shipper was dependent on them and their schedule. That is exactly why you want the least # of people to handle the car, to minimize the chances of things going wrong. In your case it was unavoidable because of the location. 25 years ago we didn't have cell phones but even so drivers were supposed to call in at certain intervals to check in with their dispatcher so they can have some idea what's going on. The DMA a while back had an event and we used a ferry. You had to get to it before a certain time and if there wasn't enough room you waited till the next ferry! If it was the last one of the day, too bad. As for insurance, get it on the car and you may not have to pay a premium to also get it from the shipper. You need insurance on the car anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10353

Open trailer worked fine for mine. Don't feel obligated to do enclosed. These aren't Ferrari's lol.
    Left on a Thursday in TN and arrived Sat in San Diego.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Open trailer worked fine for mine. Don't feel obligated to do enclosed. These aren't Ferrari's lol.
    Left on a Thursday in TN and arrived Sat in San Diego.
    Yep, agreed. I used an open trailer to get mine from Phoenix to Dallas. Took 3 days.
    Jeff

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Yep, agreed. I used an open trailer to get mine from Phoenix to Dallas. Took 3 days.
    I was nervous with a cross-country trip and opted for the added protection. It was a nice touch that the driver wrapped my car in plastic though . None of the other cars had plastic around it.

IMG_1699.jpg IMG_1701.jpg

-Nick

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast