FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Mehh. I flew down to Boca Raton and drove mine almost 1,000 miles back home. It was a very fun road trip that I will always have fond memories of.

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mehh. I flew down to Boca Raton and drove mine almost 1,000 miles back home. It was a very fun road trip that I will always have fond memories of.
    Mehh.. didn't feel like dragging my 6 week old daughter on a 3000 mile road trip. Sounds like fun though!

-Nick

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Similar for me too. I originally tried shipping it, but mine was such an unusual route that I couldn't get anyone to take the job in a reasonable time frame. So I flew out and drove it home 1,600 miles over a weekend. Didn't even miss a day of work. Such a memorable road trip.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Open trailer worked fine for mine. Don't feel obligated to do enclosed. These aren't Ferrari's lol.
    Left on a Thursday in TN and arrived Sat in San Diego.
    I went enclosed. The Delorean means more to me then any ferrari.
    Sure they're expensive, but the delorean is special.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Shipping cars across country - pfft. It's like those people who carry their dogs. Their legs work let them walk. Poor little mutts never get to run around and play!
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

I thought about flying out and driving back, did that with the Prowler, flew into Chicago and made the drive home. Problem here is, it's a 3,000 mile run, I'm not 100% certain about the car, and time is a factor if I drive.

So to avoid any lost time at work, having my wife go to work late one day to bring our daughter to school, shipping is the way to go. Nice stories, I did love the drive from Il. to NJ.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't discount the weather this time of year. On a trip that long the chance of getting stuck in bad weather or being delayed is very high. Most of us have jobs and can't afford that kind of time. When you figure what an airline ticket is worth, your time and road expenses, is it really worth it? Also don't forget, to do the trip you need to have it Titled, registered, plated and insured. Then there is the unknown of the mechanical condition and if you break down in the middle of nowhere and NOW you want to have it trailered, it is going to cost a lot. If you have mileage limitations on your insurance you just blew that up. Most people will decide to have it transported, that is the safe, predictable choice. And finally, if you bought a low mileage car do you really want to put all of that mileage on it? There will be plenty of opportunity to enjoy the car once you get your baby home safe.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Shipping cars across country - pfft. It's like those people who carry their dogs. Their legs work let them walk. Poor little mutts never get to run around and play!
    not every new owners car will make a roadtrip...

mine was a driving example but old tires, cooling system issues, and no AC = hard pass for an initial road trip home.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    not every new owners car will make a roadtrip...
    Exactly, I roadtrip'd another car but that was a short distance that I could fly up on a Sat morning and make it home by Sunday night. Anything further and you have to start requesting time off from work which then starts to exceed the cost of paying for a shipper.

Plus this time of year with the weather driving across the country would be too risky. Potential snow and rain in a car that very likely will have some undisclosed door seal leak, no thanks.

The next step has been taken.

Got an E-mail from the lawyer last night, the check has cleared and the title will soon follow (his words will be in the mail by weeks end). Once I have title in hand I will call the shipping company and confirm dates for pickup, looks like I'm going with horseless carriage but not set in stone.

Now I just hope I don't wish away my vacation waiting for the Delorean.

Thanks again for the thoughts you guys are putting into this process, David T, weather (as you pointed out) is a major concern when driving across country, rear wheel drive is another aspect to think about when snow and ice come into play.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast