FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

My VIN:    10353

That sounds about the norm for auto transport companies. My guys texted saying they would let me know 30 mins to when they were due to arrive, nothing all day then out of the blue they call and say they are here and unloaded the car...right on the side of a busy 6 lane street.

You're at the whim of the driver who is more concerned about his time schedule, not yours unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    That sounds about the norm for auto transport companies. My guys texted saying they would let me know 30 mins to when they were due to arrive, nothing all day then out of the blue they call and say they are here and unloaded the car...right on the side of a busy 6 lane street.

You're at the whim of the driver who is more concerned about his time schedule, not yours unfortunately.
    Thanks for the undstanding, I don't mind his timetable, but when I arrange to be home 2 days in a row and you don't call or show it pisses me off. He called half an hour ago now and said he'd be here within the hour. I guess I got my message across. We will see.

My VIN:    3937

Hope it all works out for you by the time it's sitting pretty in your garage.

I think people have auto transport stories the same way people have stories about hospital visits and surgery and follow-ups with doctors.

That sort of bedside manner went out the window about the same time it did with just being considerate in general. What happened to the era where a delivery guy knocked on your door or rang the bell to drop your package off? Not cars, I mean just packages from Fed-Ex or UPS or just the regular mailman. Now, if they don't need something from you (i.e. money or your signature), things just get dumped on the porch and buddy makes a run for it. No ringing of the door bell, no 'here's your package, sir, have a nice day.' Gone is that sort of thing on account of everyone being so busy and because they can't be delayed for even a moment. I think Dr. Lecter would refer to that simply as being rude.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Car arrived, a few things I picked out, the passenger door opens but slips down a few inches, the radio has a short in it. Some of the weather stripping has shrunk and will need replacing. Other then that she sounds amazing. I drove her around the block, not bad at all. I haven't figured out posting photos yet but if anyone wants to send me an email address or phone number to get texts I'll forward them to you so you can post them.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Congrats on your new arrival. Start making up a list of things to do. You may need some door struts or possibly a torsion bar adjustment. It will get better when it gets warmer anyway. Don't worry about the radio for now, you probably need speakers for it too. Check tire pressures and fluid levels. Read the Owner's manual. Unless you intend to drive it right away you don't need to get plates but you should get a Title in your name as soon as you can though. On the first nice day wash the car and clean the interior. Check for stuff left in the car.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Congrats on your new arrival. Start making up a list of things to do. You may need some door struts or possibly a torsion bar adjustment. It will get better when it gets warmer anyway. Don't worry about the radio for now, you probably need speakers for it too. Check tire pressures and fluid levels. Read the Owner's manual. Unless you intend to drive it right away you don't need to get plates but you should get a Title in your name as soon as you can though. On the first nice day wash the car and clean the interior. Check for stuff left in the car.
    Will make up a list as soon as I get some real time to look her over, I'm hoping the door strut will fix the lazy passenger door, the drivers works fine. The radio will get done soon enough, I'll be adding a couple of 6"X9's" to a false rear that I make and add a small amp too.

I'll check the tire pressure tomorrow and once I figure out how to open the engine hood I'll check fluids too. I drove her around my block twice, she pulls strong and the exhaust note sounds sweet, the engine work that's been done really sets her apart from the stock D. The 5 speed shifted smooth with no hint of there being any problem. (Only got her into 2nd gear and reverse.)

I don't know if there is an actual owners manual, but will check for one tomorrow. The Fiduciary said she'll put the title in the mail for me tomorrow, if she overnights it like I asked it will arrive Sunday or Monday.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Will make up a list as soon as I get some real time to look her over, I'm hoping the door strut will fix the lazy passenger door, the drivers works fine. The radio will get done soon enough, I'll be adding a couple of 6"X9's" to a false rear that I make and add a small amp too.

I'll check the tire pressure tomorrow and once I figure out how to open the engine hood I'll check fluids too. I drove her around my block twice, she pulls strong and the exhaust note sounds sweet, the engine work that's been done really sets her apart from the stock D. The 5 speed shifted smooth with no hint of there being any problem. (Only got her into 2nd gear and reverse.)

I don't know if there is an actual owners manual, but will check for one tomorrow. The Fiduciary said she'll put the title in the mail for me tomorrow, if she overnights it like I asked it will arrive Sunday or Monday.
    I'm happy for you. This seems to have been a long time coming with all the drama and waiting. I still remember my first month or two of ownership and how excited I was. Get some pics up here so we can see what you're working with.

Door struts are maintenance items on these cars. Plan on replacing them every few years.

The engine compartment release is directly behind the driver seat to the left of the wheel well. There's a pull handle that will open the lower engine cover once you have opened the rear louvre. I don't know the PO mods but if its running KJET, inspect all of the fuel lines ASAP. If they're original, plan on replacing those immediately. Other than your normal fluid level checks and fresh gas, enjoy it!
    Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To get to the motor you must first lift the rear sunshade. If the lock works you release it by squeezing the lock upwards in the center towards the rear. Always lift it evenly both sides, do not allow it to twist or it can crack. The struts should hold it all the way up. When closing, same deal, don't let one side get ahead of the other and twist. Don't let it slam either. Once you have the sunshade up you pull the handle behind the driver on the firewall above the package shelf. That should cause the engine cover to pop up. If not, someone has to pull the handle while someone else lifts the engine cover. Usually happens because the engine cover is rubbing against the rear facia and things need to be adjusted. You lift the engine cover until the center cover stay locks the cover open. NEVER allow anyone to try to close the engine cover without first releasing the cover stay. You do that by lifting the engine cover and pulling the mechanism rearward.

Engine oil dipstick on the left, coolant tank on the right. Oil must be between the full and add mark, the coolant tank 1/2 full cold. Tire pressures on the glove box door. Get the date codes on each tire and battery.
    David Teitelbaum

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember my friend telling me among all the mods he's made that he took out the K-jet and made it a carb car.

That will get checked tomorrow time permitting. If I can work out the time I may have another owner stopping by tomorrow afternoon to give me a quick walk through of the car.

New wiper blades are a must.

Thanks for the direction on opening the eng. bay hood.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    I think I remember my friend telling me among all the mods he's made that he took out the K-jet and made it a carb car.
    Welcome to the club!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast