FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Another small hiccup in the world of owning this car which I almost don't legally own yet'ish.

So the title comes, however there is no mileage writing on the title anywhere, little girl at the desk tells me I need to get a mileage verification report done by a police officer.

She prints the form for me and I say, how can an officer verify the actual mileage, the officer can only read what the odometer states, I took a photo of it for you if you'd like to see it?

The officer is sworn to uphold the law of the land she states, Oh, so that explains why so many in law get arrested (I think to myself).

So being I can't legally drive this car sitting in my driveway, how do I get an officer to come verify the mileage? She says to call them.

I go home, do just that and they say they will put my on a list of stops and stop over. Problem I'm having is, the car is not titled in my name yet and the form has a place for me to verify I'm the legal owner, I have nothing more then a canceled check at this point. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wish me luck, will ya.
    In my state not only is a mileage verification not required (unless it's a dealer statement that simply must be signed by dealer and seller) but the DeLorean would be mileage exempt due to age. What state are you in that a police officer must verify mileage...and in the training academy, when do they teach this mystery talent of reading an odometer?

Another small hiccup in the world of owning this car which I almost don't legally own yet'ish.

So the title comes, however there is no mileage writing on the title anywhere, little girl at the desk tells me I need to get a mileage verification report done by a police officer.

She prints the form for me and I say, how can an officer verify the actual mileage, the officer can only read what the odometer states, I took a photo of it for you if you'd like to see it?

The officer is sworn to uphold the law of the land she states, Oh, so that explains why so many in law get arrested (I think to myself).

So being I can't legally drive this car sitting in my driveway, how do I get an officer to come verify the mileage? She says to call them.

I go home, do just that and they say they will put my on a list of stops and stop over. Problem I'm having is, the car is not titled in my name yet and the form has a place for me to verify I'm the legal owner, I have nothing more then a canceled check at this point. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wish me luck, will ya.
    No big deal, I had to get a vin check by an officer to register mine. They come out and run the vin against their data base to verify its not reported stolen anywhere, they'll sign the paper and you're good to go. I dont recall if he wrote down the milage or not. I believe in Florida the milage on a car of this age is exempt (who knows?) and note, this was before I had it registered so I had only the title with the prior owners name and signature on it (not a problem, thats exactly how it should be at this step, you haven't gotten to the new title step yet.)
    It was not a big deal, and the cop was all excited about the Delorean. They love a call like this, it beats busting up a domestic disturbance or something. Look on the bright side, you'll probably be the highlight of his day.
    On a side story I ran a 5k a few weeks back and brought the car with me. When I got to the event there were a few cops there working the event, and they all were laughing when they saw me pull up. I spoke to them and the reason they were amused is because apparently my tag had been run a few times that morning already, and it had come across their car's computer. "1981 Delorean" so apparently cops are just out there running tags of cars they think are cool for fun all the time anyway.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wish me luck, will ya.

In Florida the buyer & seller both complete and sign an odometer declaration. You put the mileage and then check a box whether it is accurate or not. As far as the VIN check in Florida it only applies to out of state titles and that can be done by law enforcement, by a notary who comes to compare the VIN on the vehicle to the vin on the form and stamps it or at the DMV. Your main concern is the mileage and I think you stated your in NJ so this really doesn't mean anything to you. I'm sure you can work with the officer to figure out how to get the form completed in order to proceed. As far as I remember, there was only a odometer disclosure statement only there as well but who knows what changes happen as time goes by.

The one thing with DMVs/MVDs etc is your outcome really depends on who the person behind the counter ends up being and what their attitude is that day. One time in New York they jammed me up big time trying to register a '57 Cadillac, only go go back the next day, same paperwork, and have 0 issues with a different person. The DMV is the only one damn place I get nervous for this reason. Will I make it out with what I need? Or will I be going back to deal with more nonsense. PITA!
    Last edited by dn010; 02-27-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Yeah, I'm in NJ and never came across this before, if I had known I'd have filled in the mileage before approaching the window, geeze. I'm hoping they can spare an officer before weeks end so I can get this show on the road.

The biggest problem is the DMV's near me are all city environments with less then stellar staff manning the windows.

I'm sure it will all work itself out, but it just adds days onto the time I get to run the car to stretch her legs. I was kind of hoping today I'd have plates, now I'm at the whim of local PD and again time online at DMV while taking care of work obligations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    In Florida the buyer & seller both complete and sign an odometer declaration. You put the mileage and then check a box whether it is accurate or not.
    Nothing like that happened, DMV never asked a thing about mileage or odometer. The seller was out of state, so I would have defiantly had to do that through the mail if they had asked for it.
    Just the vin check, which had to be done by an officer because I couldn't drive the car with out a tag. The conversation during my first trip to the DMV ended with them telling me to go outside with them so they could verify the vin, I told them the car wasn't there and they told me I had to bring it up there.... I said "I can drive it here with a tag?" Then the lady looked puzzled and told me she'd go find out what to do. She came back with the papers for me to have an officer sign. Like you said tho, you talk to one person at the DMV and get one story, and then talk to someone else and get a different story. What a system eh?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Since 911 NJ has gotten very hard to deal with. Their ID verification system was weak and the Feds made them tighten the restrictions. They implemented a 6 point system to try to make it harder to get ID's if you can't prove yourself to their satisfaction. They demand all kinds of paperwork and it is easier for them to to refuse to help you than to bend the rules. And they change the rules all the time. It got so bad some cities were not able to issue Birth Certificates for months till they could prove to the Feds that they had enough controls in place to prevent fraud. Caused a lot of problems for travelers, especially to Puerto Rico. Back then you didn't need a passport to go there but you had to have a Birth certificate. Titling an out of state car in NJ is a hassle. Can take several trips till you can get it all right. It would be nice if, when they refuse you, they tell you everything you need rather than sending you away at the first problem and you come back and they discover another problem.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Nothing like that happened, DMV never asked a thing about mileage or odometer.
    It actually did happen but it doesn't seem to be a huge detail in Florida so you may not have noticed. You wouldn't have to go through a mailing process because the out of state title should have the mileage written in by the seller and the seller obviously must sign the title over - that is the sellers declaration. Then, you filled in the mileage / odometer declaration on your title application with registration and signed the form in order to get your FL title and registration - that is your declaration. According to the form, "Federal and state law requires that you state the mileage" when you're applying for the title so it must be done.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10353

I had to bring my car to the DMV office to have it inspected since it was an out of state car. They checked mileage and such, not a big deal. The guy got a kick out it seeing one regardless.

Why not just drive it to your local police station and have an officer sign off the paperwork. Apologize if they mention you aren't supposed to legally drive it if they ask, are they really going to fine or arrest you for bringing a sweet delorean to them lol?

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I had to bring my car to the DMV office to have it inspected since it was an out of state car. They checked mileage and such, not a big deal. The guy got a kick out it seeing one regardless.

Why not just drive it to your local police station and have an officer sign off the paperwork. Apologize if they mention you aren't supposed to legally drive it if they ask, are they really going to fine or arrest you for bringing a sweet delorean to them lol?
    Cant drive without a tag, and if you do the police station is the last place you'd want to go! lol
    Its not that big a deal, I called the police station for the vin check, and an officer was there in 10 minutes.

As much as I want to drive the mile to my local station I won't, let some a hole hit me and my insurance company won't cover the claim.

I spoke to a local officer today and he "on the sly" said, just fill in the paperwork yourself, they won't be checking it."

While I bet he is correct I'll wait for the PD to make time and show up for this check.

Tick tock, all it is, is time.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast