FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Placed an offer on a Delorean today

Nothing witty here lest it offend

An employee of BHCC just sat straight up in bed, his ears ringing.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Im not sure why anyone would post this kind of thing publicly on the internet.
    You are getting ahead of yourself. Be patient.
    It seems like it will likely go to a family member though.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

While I and my other friend are the outsiders, so to speak, I am lucky enough to have the cash handy right now, I don't know about the family member and being this is being sold to pay some of the bills, cash is king. Again, I don't know the situation of the family member, but they weren't as well off as my friend was.

The mother is placing a certain amount of sentimental value on the car, it's history and it's future. I'm hoping my correspondence to her will sway her in my direction.

Bear in mind some of the facts are being left out or altered a little being I don't know who on here may know the car and or family. Once the car is "sold/won" I'll post the vin# and fill I some blanks.

Yes I understand it's premature of me to join and post as I have but I am excited about the prospect of owning this fine example of a car and carrying on the legacy of my buddy.

Peace

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It sounds like more than one person is going to be making the decision. While you may have some of the decision makers "on your side" it may not be enough. As I said, be patient and if it is meant to be it will be yours soon enough. Having tried to buy things from estates and divorce sales, it can be an emotional roller coaster and you never know who is really making the decisions or why. It may turn out the car will go to someone who has no interest in it and then maybe you can buy it from them.
    David Teitelbaum

Whoa woo! Just told today that the car is mine! I'm cautiously optimistic as until the title is in my hand and car in my driveway with NJ plates on it anything can happen.

My friends mom called and said the car is mine, that she'd deposit the check tomorrow and proceed to send the title to me. The problem I have (not the end of the world) is I'm leaving on the 21st for a long planned 10 day vacation out of the country. So she's going to have to hold the car at least until Feb 1st.

In the mean time if any of you care to share the name of a reliable shipping company I'd gladly look into them, shipping would be from northern Ca. to northern NJ.

I also am concerned that during the time it takes to get the title from the attorney and on it's way to me, arms may get twisted and minds changed, but it is the situation I'm in and no sense worrying over something I have no control over.

Mom did say my rather unique offer is what put the deal in my favor. The short of the offer is this, I offered her, her family and then other friends (all named) first right of refusal if I ever decided to sell the car and for the same price I paid for the car.

I see this as a win, win. I get to use the car and will recoup my cost, at a minimum and if no family or friend has the money I can then sell for a profit if one presents itself. One step at a time for the moment, hoping to have the title in hand before I depart for my trip, fingers crossed.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Whoa woo! Just told today that the car is mine! I'm cautiously optimistic as until the title is in my hand and car in my driveway with NJ plates on it anything can happen.

In the mean time if any of you care to share the name of a reliable shipping company I'd gladly look into them, shipping would be from northern Ca. to northern NJ.
    A. Congrats on getting past Step 1! And thanks for sharing the happy details about what seems to have swung the deal your way, too.
    B. There are half a dozen good outfits - and many dozens of bad ones - for shipping cars in NorthAm.
    C. Do NOT use a broker - only deal directly with the shipper. You asked for a reliable outfit - this one is among those with a v. good reputation with the collector car crowd: https://reliable-carriers.com/
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats on securing the car. Good luck with the paperwork and delivery.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Take it step-by-step. Get the Title. Apply for and obtain a Title in your name. Insure the car. Ship the car. I used Horeseless Carriage. Not the cheapest but one of the most reputable. It should cost you about $1200. If it is significantly less by someone else you don't want to use them. As mentioned you DO NOT want to use a broker where the car may be carried by multiple shippers and loaded and unloaded many times. Because the car is a non-runner with dead tires it may cost a bit more. I can understand giving right of first refusal but not only should you recoup your cost to obtain the car, you will be spending a significant amount to fix it up along with the shipping. You should get all of that back (maybe not the shipping). If possible get the Title and go to MV before your trip. Once the car is Titled in your name they cannot apply for a duplicate Title and sell it to someone else. If they do, you have a case to force them to reverse the sale and sell you the car. Once you get it Tilted in your name you should get insurance on it right away. With the Title and insurance, a couple of phone calls and maybe you can have the car delivered right after you return from your trip. When you arrange shipping try to get anything that goes along with the car too like spare parts, books, cover, keys, etc. As for getting the Title quickly, it should be Fedexed so it is tracked and can't get lost. For a bit more it can be here in a day. You've got a week to put it all together before you leave. Try to get the lawyer to get the Title signed and sent out to you ASAP. Offer to pay the Fedex if necessary. You could have the Title by the 15th maybe and then go to DMV the 16th. Still leaves 3 days to get insurance and shipping set up. You will probably need some pictures of the car for insurance. Get one of each side, front and rear, the speedometer (with the mileage) and interior. Also the VIN plate. Congratulations.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Take it step-by-step. Get the Title. Apply for and obtain a Title in your name. Insure the car. Ship the car. I used Horeseless Carriage. Not the cheapest but one of the most reputable. It should cost you about $1200. If it is significantly less by someone else you don't want to use them. As mentioned you DO NOT want to use a broker where the car may be carried by multiple shippers and loaded and unloaded many times. Because the car is a non-runner with dead tires it may cost a bit more. I can understand giving right of first refusal but not only should you recoup your cost to obtain the car, you will be spending a significant amount to fix it up along with the shipping. You should get all of that back (maybe not the shipping). If possible get the Title and go to MV before your trip. Once the car is Titled in your name they cannot apply for a duplicate Title and sell it to someone else. If they do, you have a case to force them to reverse the sale and sell you the car. Once you get it Tilted in your name you should get insurance on it right away. With the Title and insurance, a couple of phone calls and maybe you can have the car delivered right after you return from your trip. When you arrange shipping try to get anything that goes along with the car too like spare parts, books, cover, keys, etc. As for getting the Title quickly, it should be Fedexed so it is tracked and can't get lost. For a bit more it can be here in a day. You've got a week to put it all together before you leave. Try to get the lawyer to get the Title signed and sent out to you ASAP. Offer to pay the Fedex if necessary. You could have the Title by the 15th maybe and then go to DMV the 16th. Still leaves 3 days to get insurance and shipping set up. You will probably need some pictures of the car for insurance. Get one of each side, front and rear, the speedometer (with the mileage) and interior. Also the VIN plate. Congratulations.
    Not sure where I gave the impression the car was a non starter. The battery was dead, but took a charge, the tires were low but not dead. I appreciate the advice, but I'm not about to rush the mom or lawyer on this. Too much going on in my life leading up to this trip and I don't want to put mom off. I've played this well so far, I'm going to let it unfold at it's own pace for now.

I know how you feel. I went through all of this in October. I was buying a car out of state without the time to travel there.
    I set up an escrow though a law firm that held my money until they received the title, and then released the funds to the seller. It was still a few weeks until the car would be shipped to me from Illinois to FLorida.

One thing to be ready for, I could not register the vehicle or apply for a new title until the vehicle could have a vin check here in my state (Florida) I could however get it fully insured through Hagerty. P.S. you have to have proof of insurance to register the car.

Next was transport. I booked directly through an independent transporter. (I spoke directly to the driver, who sent me tons of pics of his enclosed rig, and even one with a Delorean loaded up as he had moved one before.... Well... he canceled on me without notice. the seller was expecting him and he never showed, and when I called he said "oh yeah.... I decided not to do a florida trip". Well thanks for telling me! At that rate I did what people here have already said not to do. I went through a broker, told them I was looking for an enclosed transport. They found a driver to pick it up the following monday. I got a call late Wednesday from the driver telling me he was ready to drop the car off. (Oh man! the moment is here!) the driver unloaded a beautiful 72 vet that was behind my delorean and off came my 1981 delorean DMC12. The driver said he wanted to buy one after having moved mine a few times during the trip! lol
    It all worked out, and even though it went well, I never want to have to ship the car again!
    I don't think brokers are bad, I spoke to a few before booking though one, but it is an extra link in the chain, or in the case of a mishap an extra kink in the chain. The thing is, a broker has access to a lot of drivers and rigs, so if you need a quick turn around they have the resources to do it. If you're dealing with a company with a finite number of drivers and rigs you may be waiting if they are tied up. Ether way you go Insure the car before transport.
    Last edited by Parzival; 01-13-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast