FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Anyone else find the transmission dipstick hard to seat?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Anyone else find the transmission dipstick hard to seat?

The handle broke off my original automatic transmission dipstick, so I got a replacement. It fits most of the way down the tube most of the time, but not all the way, leaving a few inches (the entire plastic part, including the part that should be locked into the tube) sticking out. It's like it's hitting something and getting jammed. Forcing it just makes it bounce back out. If I turn it JUST right, it fits all the way in.

It seems like it shouldn't get stuck like that, though. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you stick the dipstick in you can feel a bump when it is almost all the way in. It goes past that bump without any trouble but it helps if you twist it as you insert it. Never force it. Make sure the tube isn't bent or dented.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Thanks. I should mention that I also have a new dipstick tube (mine snapped off, of course right after I put the engine/trans back in the car), although it doesn't seem like that should matter.

I noticed the new dipstick was a slightly different design than the original, but not sufficiently different that it would cause this kind of stopping. When it gets stuck, it happens just before the plastic part of the handle enters the tube. Trying to force it just bends the dipstick in the tube a bit, and then it springs back (I was just trying to get it past where it is hitting; I definitely don't want to break it or the transmission, and since it's not helping I've stopped trying to force it).

Here's a pick of the old and new dipstick ends (old on the right, new on the left). If anything I'd expect the thinner dipstick to be easier to insert than the wider one.

IMG_9017.jpg

The dipstick appears to be straight when I pull it out, both the flexible bit and the flat bit with the low/full markings on the end.

I'll try twisting it as I insert it. thanks!

-- Joe