FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fan Fail light blinks bright and dim??

My VIN:    03572

I can't see the revision number but am guessing that is my current version since the potting is higher than the first fused units I made. So I guess the flashing (three flash sequence) was occurring. That missing pin conducts the current of both fans so it really got hot to melt the solder. The fact the fuses also got hot tells me it was not just a bad connection on that missing pin. I would suggest you replace your fans ASAP.

It's funny some owners have no problems (yet) running OEM fans and some owners have their fan fail jumpers melt and catch fire.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 01-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If it got that hot, I wonder how crispy the wires are coming into the blue socket. High heat probably means high probability of green corrosion and high resistance build up in the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    If it got that hot, I wonder how crispy the wires are coming into the blue socket. High heat probably means high probability of green corrosion and high resistance build up in the wires.
    +1

Once the fuse socket/terminals get hot, they need to be replaced (and end a vicious circle...).

My VIN:    16409

It looks like the board says REV 3?

YqI2Why.jpg

YqI2Whz.jpg

These pictures should be clearer.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    It looks like the board says REV 3?

YqI2Why.jpg

YqI2Whz.jpg

These pictures should be clearer.
    That is one of the early fused fan fail. Probably a REV A or B. So it would not have had the overtemp warning. I use a letter revision on the circuit board and if I make a change to units already sold I put a revision number on the unit. exp. A2, A3, B2, B3.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 01-02-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3294

It finally got up into the 50's here yesterday, so I wanted to take the car down to the local car wash to hose it off. Since my fan fail relay is toast, I decided to attempt to install the yellow fused jumper from DMCH that came with my relay upgrade kit. It seems like I'm going to have to replace the blue relay socket as well since none of the spades on the jumper would stay in place.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    It finally got up into the 50's here yesterday, so I wanted to take the car down to the local car wash to hose it off. Since my fan fail relay is toast, I decided to attempt to install the yellow fused jumper from DMCH that came with my relay upgrade kit. It seems like I'm going to have to replace the blue relay socket as well since none of the spades on the jumper would stay in place.
    Direct fit, OE (Rists) plastic housings are available through DeloreanGo in (black).

https://www.deloreango.com/us/relay-base.html

If you want a blue one you’d likely need need to call up vendor and see if the they would sell one from parts vehicle main harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Hey Barry,
    Just curious if you figured out what caused the meltdown?
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    3294

Hey Barry,
    Just curious if you figured out what caused the meltdown?
    \

Nothing definitive. Probably a combination of original fans and old funky wiring. I replaced the fans with new ones from DeloreanGo, and ended up replacing the otterstat, radiator and thermostat back earlier in the summer. Dave sent me a replacement fused fan fail module and I bought a new socket for it from DeloreanGo and wired it all in. Haven't had any issues with it all summer long.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2