FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Start After Doing Basic Maintenance

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

No Start After Doing Basic Maintenance

Hi all,

Strange thing going on. After doing a VOD teardown and replacing plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel injectors (all OEM stuff....Bosch, Bougicord, etc), I can't get it to start. I did a plug swap with the CSV and it'll start that way but not with everything plugged in where it should be. Looks like I've isolated it to fuel. Everything was working 100% prior to this job.

I'll also jump the RPM relay and confirm the pump is running, which is does (new integrated pump/sender) but it won't start with the RPM relay jumped. Prior to plug swap, I pulled a spark plug and confirmed spark. Tapped the distributor a few times with a dead blow mallet just in case the plunger got stuck but the car was only apart for a day.

Wondering if the new fuel injectors won't crack open? Is there a chance fuel injectors weren't a direct replacement and a different spec as to when they crack?

When I was jumping the RPM relay, one of the spades came into contact with a different terminal on the plug for a brief second. Could I have killed something that way? Trying to think of everything here.

What say you?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

No Start After Doing Basic Maintenance

Sounds like the CSV circuit is suspect. Have you verified the TTS is plugged in and the grounds are all attached at the intake manifold near the ISM mounting bracket?

Btw, you didn’t mention if, once you get it started with the plug, does it stay running at normal idle once the Plug is removed from the CSV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 01-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Sounds like the CSV circuit is suspect. Have you verified the TTS is plugged in and the grounds are all attached at the intake manifold near the ISM mounting bracket?

Btw, you didn’t mention if, once you get it started with the plug, does it stay running at normal idle once the Plug is removed from the CSV?

Grounds are attached to the manifold by the ISM. I’ll double check the connection at the TTS.

I’ll troubleshoot the plug swap that you mentioned in about 30min.

Even if I’m forcing the pump to run by jumping the RPM relay, shouldn’t that cause everything to run by forcing fuel through the system?

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Make sure you didn't bump the resistor connectors or that they're corroded.
    -----Dan B.

It forces fuel to circulate from the pump to the FD back to the tank. You still need the air flap to move down enough to crack the plunger and flow fuel to the injectors.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

After all that work and new parts I bet you just need to adjust the mixture.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Make sure you didn't bump the resistor connectors or that they're corroded.
    If he got the engine to run, it’s probably not the Resistor connections, but always good to verify anyway.

DENNIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Certainly possible, but it still should fire via the CSV fuel during cranking.

DENNIS

Oh boy. So....if I can ask everyone to put down the over-ripened tomatoes so they can't be thrown in my direction. But problem solved.

I was doing the plug swap again to check on Dennis' idea and when I did it and started the car, I was hearing a huge hiss that was an obvious vacuum leak. Turns out, the rubber elbow connecting the ISM to the pipe of agony had backed off and disconnected itself somehow. I connected that and after cranking for a bit, everything fired up and is running good.

Even though it did take 30-60 sec worth of cranking before it fired and ran, I surmised that that was due to all of my fuel lines being completely empty from installing all new injectors. Once they primed during the cranking process, all was well.

So, with the vacuum leak, I'm guessing this is what was happening?

1) The lack of vacuum in the mixture control unit effectively makes a higher pressure inside the control unit.
    2) This higher pressure prevents the meter plate from being able to drop, which
    3) Means that the plunger can't move and let fuel flow into the fuel lines and ultimately the injectors

Is all that right?

And again, thanks a bunch for the quick help. Sorry...I'm better than what I did today!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Definitely next on the list. Thanks Dave.

Alex Abdalla

1,2,3 is a perfectly logical explanation.

congrats on the quick fix. Stuff happens .

I inadvertently knocked the coil wire off the distributor cap while doing other stuff once. That was head scratcher initially, but was found quickly.

DENNIS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast