FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non Delorean AC question. Compressor runs backwards when clutch disengages

My VIN:    16795

Non Delorean AC question. Compressor runs backwards when clutch disengages

While trying to track down a leak in the AC system in my Toyota Sera, I noticed that when the AC clutch disengages the compressor slowly spin backwards for 5 to 10 seconds. Does anyone know if this is normal or not for 1990s Toyota compressors? If this were on the DeLorean I would assume the valves in the back of the compressor were bad and that its time for a new compressor.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I think its merely an optical illusion of the compressor slowly spinning to a stop. i would not worry about it.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-wheel...rds-1593807400

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think its merely an optical illusion of the compressor slowly spinning to a stop. i would not worry about it.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-wheel...rds-1593807400
    In this case its not an illusion. It's definitely spinning backwards.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    In this case its not an illusion. It's definitely spinning backwards.
    I found a few other such reports on the web.

See linked thread for one of them - Suzuki Sidekick compressor runs backward after disengaging

Posts #5 and #8 mention possible cause.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

line pressure backfeeding?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Residual pressure should not make the compressor rotate backwards. The check valves inside should prevent that. It could be that they leak or it could be peculiar to just that model. In any case it is not a good thing because there could be liquid and liquid should not go through the compressor. If it makes knocking noises when you start it up you are doing damage to it from the liquid in the compressor.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Did you mean to say the compressor itself is turning backwards or are ypu seeing the clutch plate? The clutch plate which is not engaged? Sure on some compressors you can move the clutch by hand if it is not energized but maybe you have one that's just a little free. As long as it works I would not worry myself with it.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Did you mean to say the compressor itself is turning backwards or are ypu seeing the clutch plate? The clutch plate which is not engaged? Sure on some compressors you can move the clutch by hand if it is not energized but maybe you have one that's just a little free. As long as it works I would not worry myself with it.
    The clutch plate mounts to the compressor (shaft), solid. So, they always turn the same way...

=====

It's probably a weak valve allowing residual pressure to drive the compressor until it equalizes, as suggested.
    FWIW, I have seen this last a long time...but note it also causes a reduction in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's the compressor shaft and clutch assembly. From the way it moves and watching the high and low side pressures its pretty clear it's back pressure pushing the compressor backwards.

The reason I'm trying to figure out if this is normal is that I have a slow leak I'm having trouble finding. If I need a new compressor anyway then I might as well replace the compressor and see if the leak goes away. Unfortunately finding a new compressor looks like its going to be a major endeavor, as the part isn't available anymore. I'll probably have to either rebuild it or have custom hoses made to connect to a different compressor. If spinning backwards is normal than I'll concentrate on finding the leak. I asked on a Toyota Sera group, but no one there seems to know.

I've got UV dye in the system, and have also been using a sniffer probe to look for the leak, but so far no luck. I also tried soapy water on all the fittings, the compressor, and the condenser.

I'm getting close to giving up, which leads to the next question. Does anyone know of a shop in the Philadelphia PA/Trenton NJ area that's good at doing AC work on unusual cars?

My VIN:    03572

I would think maybe a little reverse movement would be normal because the pistons are under pressure so a little backwards movement would be normal when the clutch is released.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast