FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Convention and Show (DCS_2020) - Initial Planning

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

DeLorean Convention and Show (DCS_2020) - Initial Planning

DeLorean Owners, Fans, and Enthusiasts,

Thanks to everyone who has supported DCS over the years. Without your help,
    DCS Events would have faded into DeLorean history, especially after DCS 2014.
    Although DCS continues to evolve, the core intent of DCS has remained the same;
    DCS is a gathering of the DeLorean community to celebrate all things DeLorean.

With the successes of the past two DCS events, we have decided to pursue the
    process of organizing and running at least one more DCS Event ... DCS 2020.
    The DCS Planning Team began exploring this process after the local British Car
    Show and it completed an initial venue location review by the end of 2018.

After reviewing a half dozen possible venues for DCS 2020, we have 3 finalists
    that we will be focusing on, over the next few months. Of the 3 finalists, they
    all have the possibility of being used for future DCS events, but no final decision
    has been made yet (including DCS 2020), as we wait for additional cost details.

There are many criteria that go into the selection process, but we have used
    a similar formula for both DCS 2016 and DCS 2018, to have an indoor car show
    (so weather is not an issue) with an adjacent hotel, again, to take "weather"
    out of the equation, whether it's rain or just the heat of the Midwest Summers.

Keeping costs low is a key goal, so we work very hard to keep guest rooms at
    $99 (or less) with the host hotel, and we prefer most DCS attendees stay at the
    host hotel, to cut down daily travel to the convention, reducing late arrivals
    for daily events. Each hotel has an adjacent expo center or convention center.

DCS dinners have been used to gather attendees together, have a good meal and
    listen to Keynote Speakers and Presenters. Cost of dinners and presentations
    help pay for most of VIP costs, including their travel, room and meal expenses.
    We have been quite successful bringing in many VIPs with this current formula.

As many attendees of DCS 2018 already know, I have current family obligations
    that do not allow me to be away from home for more than a day or two, so this
    will limit the locations for DCS 2020. The only way I can continue with DCS,
    for now, is to base a DCS Event within an hour or so from home (Chicago area).

With all this in mind, 2 of the 3 finalists are still in the running, but since
    these 2 are each about 4-5 hours from Chicago, it's unlikely either is chosen
    for DCS 2020, based on their proximity. One is in Southeast Michigan and the
    other is in Southwest Ohio, relatively close to Northwest Kentucky.

The current first place finalist was the runner-up location for DCS 2018. The
    reason it was not used for DCS 2018 was because a new hotel was not built yet.
    The hotel is currently under construction and the grand opening is anticipated
    for Labor Day Weekend 2019. We plan to have DeLoreans at the Grand Opening.

The brand new hotel would be less than a year old for DCS 2020, so it should be
    a great venue for our event (with any 'new kinks' worked out by then, lol). The
    hotel is a Best Western GLO (the company's latest line of hotel chains) and it
    is only a 10-15 minute ride to Midway Airport or a 30 minute ride to O'Hare.

While this new hotel (with 70+ rooms) is adjacent to an Expo Center, there is
    also another brand new hotel going up about 10 minutes away, with another two
    very well established Best Western hotels 10-15 minutes away, all for overflow.
    You can even stay in downtown Chicago, since you will be only 30 minutes away.

Since it will be several months yet before any contracts are signed, I will
    not be naming the exact specifics now, since details are yet to be finalized,
    but there has been significant effort put into keeping the DCS Event "alive",
    and we hope to be able to report some additional good news by this Summer.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

(for the DCS 2020 Planning Team)
    Last edited by Rich W; 01-06-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: type-o fix

My VIN:    Between VINs

Nice to see there is a chance DCS 2020 will happen; best of luck as I had a great time in 2016 and hope as many people as possible get to experience one.

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I am very excited about this and plan to attend. Although I have owned my Delorean since 2005, this will be my first DCS.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

All the years I've been around the Delorean community I have never been to DCS - I look forward to attending in 2020.

I vote SE MI because visitors to the area can visit 3 of JZD's old residences and the old DMC offices at Long Lake & Woodward. Rich, if you need any assistance in locations I would be happy to help since I lived in Metro Detroit for 35 years. I wonder if Cobo Hall in Downtown Detroit would host?

OT: One of JZD's houses was for sale years back while my parents were looking to purchase a home in the area. It's in a neighborhood where a good friend lives.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

I didn't notice the venue discussion when this was posted the first time. Very unfortunate to see Chicago is the likely location again. I know that's easiest on DMCMW and if that makes for a better overall show experience for everyone, then great. That said, 2016 in Springfield was fantastic. It would be very unlikely that I would attend a show in Chicago. I drive through there several times a year and have no desire to do so in the DMC. That might be my own personal fatigue weighing in a bit more than it should so your turnout may not be affected. Good luck.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    All the years I've been around the Delorean community I have never been to DCS - I look forward to attending in 2020.

I vote SE MI because visitors to the area can visit 3 of JZD's old residences and the old DMC offices at Long Lake & Woodward. Rich, if you need any assistance in locations I would be happy to help since I lived in Metro Detroit for 35 years. I wonder if Cobo Hall in Downtown Detroit would host?

OT: One of JZD's houses was for sale years back while my parents were looking to purchase a home in the area. It's in a neighborhood where a good friend lives.
    And JZD Gravesite too!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I am excited to finally be planning to attend a DCS.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Las Vegas to Chicago is almost identically the distance from Tucson to Dayton (2014) which we drove with zero issues, but now my wife and I have two little kids, and in 2014 we were just engaged. No way we will be be able to make it. And I think if I went solo I'd come home to an empty house, lol.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I am excited to finally be planning to attend a DCS.
    Oh, well, in that case.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

There have been a few issues that will likely prevent having a DCS Event in Southeast MI anytime soon.

- Cost for Indoor Facilities - as most of you know or could guess, Detroit Metro area is heavily union
    and the associated costs for these facilities can be quite expensive. Cobo Hall is a union shop.
    While we have nothing against union shops, costs must be passed along and it will impact attendance.

- Facilities with union shops require their folks to do most everything involving move in/out and setup,
    and this increases costs. In addition, I do not think most owners will want to have someone else drive
    their cars in and out of a building due to specific move in/out rules (in most of the union shops)

- The only way the current DCS Planning Team will have an event in SE MI is to time the event around
    the same time as the Woodward Dream Cruise, and include many of the auto museums in Detroit area.
    This presents more logistics challenges, but the Team feels this would make it one of the best DCS ever.

If there is anyone who would like to take the lead for a DCS Event in SE MI, please let me know or the
    Planning Team know and we would be happy to pass along our notes for you to have a successful event.

Side Note: Several DeLorean Clubs participated in the DeLorean Heritage Tour back in 2006

http://deloreanmotorcity.com/gallery...itagetour.html
    Last edited by Rich W; 05-15-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added link

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast