FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vanity plate question (Don't ask).

Vanity plate question (Don't ask).

If I am able to land the Delorean I'm after I'm thinking about getting a vanity plate "DON'T ASK".

I hate all the stupid questions and comments about "Where's the flux capacitor", "You know there were drugs in the doors right?" "What happens at 88 MPH" etc.

Any chance it will deter even one person from asking, or should I just get regular tags on the car if it becomes mine?

(I'm thinking it would be a fruitless undertaking, change my mind.)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I think no matter what tag you have, you’ll still get questions and comments. I’ve learned to enjoy those who enjoy the car and ignore those who don’t.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I think no matter what tag you have, you’ll still get questions and comments. I’ve learned to enjoy those who enjoy the car and ignore those who don’t.
    Totally agree. It's something you just need to get used to - and get used to it quick!

After nearly two and a half years of DeLorean ownership, the inane BTTF comments just keep coming and coming at any gas station or cars and coffee event. I love the movie and it's the reason the DeLorean became my dream car. I didn't think the variety of comments would bother me at all but I've got to admit that they do become a little tiresome after a while. Every time I get a snarky Coke comment or brain-dead BTTF reference I have to go through a quick composure check just to make sure I don't snark back. I've caught myself a few times but like Dan said, you've got to get used to them.

I think a DONTASK plate might have the inverse effect. It might make people want to ask you even more. It almost invites the questions you're trying to avoid, so I'm not sure it's going to have impact you think.

G-luck with the purchase!
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

That might avoid a few of those questions. But I bet they would be replaced with a much greater number of, "Don't ask, what?"

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

If you dont want people talking to you, dont buy a delorean and stay in your home.

Pretty simple!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

As an owner you're just gonna have to embrace it. People get excited when they see a DeLorean.

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

It might result in the opposite reaction to what you desire. I was at a show last year and I made up a sign titled Answers To Questions You Probably Have. I had the answers listed like so:

I don’t have one
    He was acquitted
    They open just fine
    They’re not aluminum
    Etc etc

I had several types of reactions. One reaction was confusion, as to what I was trying to say. This caused people to ask for clarification and they ended up walking away more confused than when they arrived. Another reaction was silence and then muttering to their buddies about the sign. And a very small percentage laughed out loud, and understood exactly what it all meant. But by far the reaction was not positive.

I currently drive a Plymouth Prowler, the number of photos that get taken when I'm cruising down the highway is insane, and I have no problem giving a thumps up, or if I'm grabbing a bite I enjoy people asking me all the questions they do, I keep little match box cars with me to hand out to the kids, they love it! So do I, my 9 yr old daughter loves it.

Driving the Delorean brings out so many insanely dumb questions/comments that it's the one thing I hatted about using the car. Is there coke still in the doors? Just shoot me now!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Well, perhaps it is just me, but a great majority of the contact I've had with people who walked up to me/my car has been positive. Few instances did I get any kind of coke jokes, car weight, slow, etc comments. And I've owned mine for 17 years now. Most of the jokes came when I lived in small town in upstate NY. In Florida I can't remember one instance of any negativity. Those who are completely stunned they're actually looking at 'the real thing' or all the times parents with kids who cautiously walked up and asked if they can look at the car and are blown away when I allow them to sit in it make up for those few instances.

What I've found, is that no matter what classic or exotic etc car you drive, there will always be that one guy driving a shitbox with thrush stickers all over it who thinks what you've got is garbage and will try to give you a bad time about it.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-08-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Well, perhaps it is just me, but a great majority of the contact I've had with people who walked up to me/my car has been positive. Few instances did I get any kind of coke jokes, car weight, slow, etc comments. And I've owned mine for 17 years now. Most of the jokes came when I lived in small town in upstate NY. In Florida I can't remember one instance of any negativity. Those who are completely stunned they're actually looking at 'the real thing' or all the times parents with kids who cautiously walked up and asked if they can look at the car and are blown away when I allow them to sit in it make up for those few instances.

What I've found, is that no matter what classic or exotic etc car you drive, there will always be that one guy driving a shitbox with thrush stickers all over it who thinks what you've got is garbage and will try to give you a bad time about it.
    I hope you're right, my experience came while driving a friends 81 up the Pacific coast highway in Ca. At every stop for gas, scenic overlook, or rest stop I was met with the Flux this, 88 MPH that, or the drug crap. I wished some real questions would have been presented, those I look forward to, I hate know-it-alls that think they know more about your car then you do or are just being stupid for the sake of doing so.

I'm in Jersey and am hoping if I win the bid on this car that the fine people of Jersey are better informed or more polite then those I've come across in Ca. I have to say I was shocked on my drives in Ca.

I look forward to the photo ops, will gladly allow someone to sit inside for a photo etc, just keep the mind numbing comments please.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast