FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Dream is Real-My DeLorean #16985

My VIN:    5482

Congrats on your new adventure! Not to rain on your parade, but be real careful transporting your DMC backwards on the trailer like that. Those louvers tend to catch air at high speeds and that can be traumatic as you can imagine.
    Jeff

My VIN:    16985

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Congrats on your new adventure! Not to rain on your parade, but be real careful transporting your DMC backwards on the trailer like that. Those louvers tend to catch air at high speeds and that can be traumatic as you can imagine.
    You are exactly right and I knew that going in so did the best I could to protect the louvers. It took us three hours to load the car dealing with a steep driveway on a busy two lane street with cars parked on both sides and the DeLorean up against the house the way it was. I had to stop three times to reposition the straps on the louvers but all in all it worked out very well.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee01 View Post
    You are exactly right and I knew that going in so did the best I could to protect the louvers. It took us three hours to load the car dealing with a steep driveway on a busy two lane street with cars parked on both sides and the DeLorean up against the house the way it was. I had to stop three times to reposition the straps on the louvers but all in all it worked out very well.

Right on man! Probably not a huge deal at low speeds.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Also congrats on your 1st happy day. If you can afford it, make up a full list of all the stuff you will need (everything) and order it all at once from your favorite vendor. On a large order they can give you a discount and you can save on shipping. You also need a good place to work on it and tools. Don't delay in getting it Titled in your name (you don't need plates for a while) and putting insurance on it (don't need liability yet). Register on the DoD. As long as the tires can hold pressure so you can roll the car around you don't need to replace them for a while. If you find any rodent damage or droppings take precautions when you clean the car. Wear a dust mask at least and disinfect the car. There may also be spiders and insects too so you may have to exterminate them or they can infest your garage. Before putting it in the garage you should hose the car down to wash off what you can and then dry it good.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Also congrats on your 1st happy day. If you can afford it, make up a full list of all the stuff you will need (everything) and order it all at once from your favorite vendor. On a large order they can give you a discount and you can save on shipping. You also need a good place to work on it and tools. Don't delay in getting it Titled in your name (you don't need plates for a while) and putting insurance on it (don't need liability yet). Register on the DoD. As long as the tires can hold pressure so you can roll the car around you don't need to replace them for a while. If you find any rodent damage or droppings take precautions when you clean the car. Wear a dust mask at least and disinfect the car. There may also be spiders and insects too so you may have to exterminate them or they can infest your garage. Before putting it in the garage you should hose the car down to wash off what you can and then dry it good.
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions David. I started the title process today and am beyond excited to just start looking the car over in more detail and assessing the situation. It is just such a neglected time capsule. The tires are beyond ever airing up again, 30 years of being flat has left huge open holes in the sidewalls and besides that it cannot be steered which is another reason it was nearly impossible to extract from its resting place. Amazingly enough I haven't found evidence of mice...yet.

Inspect the front compartment in the trunk where the jack is. See if the pouch is chewed up. Look around the fuseblock area. Pull the heater motor and look inside the heater box. Look under the seats and sometimes they nest inside the drooping headliner. For spiders look underneath for webs and small white balls of silk. If you can just maneuver the car to where you will work on it and forget about tires for a while. The car will be on a lift or jackstands for a while! Look at the brake fluid. New stuff is thin and clear. Old stuff is dark, thick and foul smelling. If it is "old stuff' just rebuild the whole brake system. Same for the clutch hydraulics if it is a 5-speed. Get the tires off. Your favorite vendor has seen enough of these "sleeping beauties" to be able to put a list together for you. Concentrate on the mechanical stuff and leave the cosmetic stuff for Phase II. Remove the cover for the fuel pump (in the spare tire well) get the fuel pump out and wipe out the tank with Acetone. If you still have all of the original fuel tank parts be gentle with them. Most of them can be reused or, if you "upgrade" you can sell the parts if they aren't broken. Till your parts come you can spend a lot of time just cleaning the car up.
    David Teitelbaum

IMG_2628.jpgIMG_2629.jpgIMG_2631.jpgIMG_2632.jpgIMG_2633.jpgIMG_2634.jpg
    I decided to begin by ordering new door struts so that I can access the interior more easily and begin to attempt to get the drivers door open. The outside door handle is broken off and I have not tried from the inside yet. The right front tire is not original and has a date code of 277 making it a 1987 or 1997 so it is still uncertain as to when the DMC was last driven. I sure am having a lot of fun just looking at it for now!

The date code on the tire won't tell you when it was last driven. Look for inspection stickers, oil change stickers, loose paperwork in the car. That may tell you when it was last registered. A whiff of the smell of the fuel tank will tell you too. Or the darkness of the brake fluid. Remove what is left of the battery and wash the compartment out. Try not to buy your stuff piecemeal. Make each order as big as you can to save on shipping. If you are going to put together an initial order include manuals, filters, light bulbs, struts (all of them) any recalls the car doesn't have, extra key if you don't have one, headliner, and missing things like covers and trim. To hold the doors open in the meantime use a 2 X 4 from the sill to the bottom of the door. Get the car inside on jackstands, remove the wheels, trailing arm shields and gas tank plate, and start cleaning.
    David Teitelbaum

I wanted to provide a quick update on the car so here it is. I attended a hearing regarding the missing title recently and it went very well ending with the judge instructing the state to issue a title for the car. I then took the documentation they provided to a tag service and 'transferred' the car into my name which will provide a title, registration, and license plate. I already had the car insured, so once the plate and paperwork arrives it will be road legal aside from the fact it has not run in 21 years!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2