FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: List of electrical connections that are unused or unplugged

My VIN:    3937

List of electrical connections that are unused or unplugged

List of electrical connections that are unused or unplugged (and whether they should be that way).

This has come up a number of times both recently and over the years. Electrical connectors that aren't plugged into anything. Is it supposed to be that way? Why? What was supposed to go there? Do I need it?

I thought we could compile a list of these connections along with pictures, parts manual page reference, part number if applicable, and an explanation of why it is like that (or what is supposed to get plugged into it). After everyone has had a chance to add to the thread, myself or someone else if they're so inclined, will put it all together into a forum post or PDF file as a resource here.

I thought we might be able to group some of the connections according to manual versus automatic transmission variations as well as by car evolution or chronology. Some of the unused connections are meant for automatics and so manual trans cars don't need anything plugged in there. Others were changes to the car as production went along, like provisions for heated mirrors or to reduce radio interference.

Here are some of the ones I've had in mind:

The WOT (wide open throttle) switches on the throttle spool. The automatics use two switches (and so both of the connectors) while the manual cars use only the one. The switch all cars use is the microswitch with flap one (p/n 102784). The second one that only automatics use is the microswitch without flap one (p/n 102785). The confusion that can come is that all cars have both connectors on the engine wiring harness regardless of transmission. These connectors have been called the "Tetris puzzle piece" looking connector and are located just above the throttle spool. The connectors are dedicated and have separate wiring colours so it does matter which one you plug in for each microswitch.

IMG_1454.jpgIMG_1309.jpg

Also relating to the automatic transmissions, underneath the shifter plate, there is a small lightbulb which lights up the PRND21 bar. This lightbulb is not needed on the manual trans cars, but the wiring is still there. I do not believe the bulb receptacle is there, but the wiring to power it is. It tends to be taped over and wrapped out of the way.

Here is a photo of the lightbulb on the automatic and the approximate location of where that same wiring would be on a manual trans car:

IMG_3188.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

There is wiring inside the doors that isn't used and some of it is attributed to a heated mirror option that was never realized on the cars. These are the yellow wires with singular, round connectors. Each door has them, but I'm not quite sure of all the locations or history. This was one I hope someone else can make clearer for everyone.

IMG_5568.jpgIMG_5561.jpg

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

How about the unused Green wire on the Drivers side by the gas pedal.
    I was told in another thread it is:

It’s an Unused 12V always live connection that was supposedly used as the FEED for the Brake lights switch. This would allow you to step on the brake pedal and have brake lights without the key being ON. Some cars used it, some cars didn’t and rely on a Key Switched FEED wire.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...ted-green-wire

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There is wiring inside the doors that isn't used and some of it is attributed to a heated mirror option that was never realized on the cars. These are the yellow wires with singular, round connectors. Each door has them, but I'm not quite sure of all the locations or history. This was one I hope someone else can make clearer for everyone.

IMG_5568.jpgIMG_5561.jpg
    the yellow/white wire has two "1 pin" connector inside each door, one is near the solenoid connector and one is hidden near the window motor. these yellow wires end in the door connectors inside the roof box, there aren't wires on the "car side" connectors. the 2 pin connector with green/white and black wires near the mirror connector is the mirror heater connector (as intended by the factory)..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Also refer to ST-16-10/81 for plugs for the automatic trans.
    Other things:
    Clock vs no clock in console
    Power antennae wiring
    Early vs late brake light switch wiring
    Ballast resistor bypass relay
    Noise suppression package
    Other ST's pertaining to the electrical system:
    ST-06-7/81
    ST-15-10/81
    ST-22-10/81
    ST-06-9/82
    ST-05-2/82
    As you can see there is a LOT of stuff on the electrical system in the Delorean before you even get to all of the mods and upgrades that have been done since DMC stopped. It would be nice for someone to collect it all and put it in one place. For instance the mod to turn off the console lights, the door light dimmer, Fixing the Central Locking System, I could go on for a while. It is a large and complicated subject.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

A/C high pressure switch

Great thread Jonathan.

Here is my contribution: On early cars without a high pressure switch in the A/C system, there is an unused connector in the passenger footwell that is meant for connecting one. It has a jumper in it:

If one wants to add a high pressure switch, I have detailed that and other A/C restoration work in this thread:

Refurbing a Very Early A/C System

Here is the connector with the jumper removed and the factory HP switch harness attached.

Last edited by DMC-81; 01-16-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritime-elf View Post
    How about the unused Green wire on the Drivers side by the gas pedal.
    I was told in another thread it is:

It’s an Unused 12V always live connection that was supposedly used as the FEED for the Brake lights switch. This would allow you to step on the brake pedal and have brake lights without the key being ON. Some cars used it, some cars didn’t and rely on a Key Switched FEED wire.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...ted-green-wire
    That's a good one, thanks. And the link too, as it gives some more background and info and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    the yellow/white wire has two "1 pin" connector inside each door, one is near the solenoid connector and one is hidden near the window motor. these yellow wires end in the door connectors inside the roof box, there aren't wires on the "car side" connectors. the 2 pin connector with green/white and black wires near the mirror connector is the mirror heater connector (as intended by the factory)..
    Thanks for the explanation. So, were the yellow wires AND the 2-pin green/white and black wires ALL part of the future heated mirrors option? I think I remember someone mentioning how the yellow wires in the doors don't show-up inside the car anywhere. Does that other 2-pin wire combo come out somewhere on the car side though?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Also refer to ST-16-10/81 for plugs for the automatic trans.
    Other things:
    Clock vs no clock in console
    Power antennae wiring
    Early vs late brake light switch wiring
    Ballast resistor bypass relay
    Noise suppression package
    Other ST's pertaining to the electrical system:
    ST-06-7/81
    ST-15-10/81
    ST-22-10/81
    ST-06-9/82
    ST-05-2/82
    As you can see there is a LOT of stuff on the electrical system in the Delorean before you even get to all of the mods and upgrades that have been done since DMC stopped. It would be nice for someone to collect it all and put it in one place. For instance the mod to turn off the console lights, the door light dimmer, Fixing the Central Locking System, I could go on for a while. It is a large and complicated subject.
    Thanks for that list, David. Gives me a lot of reading I need to catch up on. I definitely want to keep the project small enough to still be manageable and not expand out to the entire electrical system.

The chronological changes like the power antenna and console clock are good ones. I'm especially interested in circumstances where something was changed (intentionally) but not everything was altered and so it left connectors or unused components. It's these kinds of things that I think get people confused when they're trying to troubleshoot something and come across an unplugged wire and don't know whether it is part of their problem or was never meant to be plugged in in the first place (on their VIN/car anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Great thread Jonathan.

Here is my contribution: On early cars without a high pressure switch in the A/C system, there is an unused connector in the passenger footwell that is meant for connecting one. It has a jumper in it:
    Thanks a lot, Dana!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast