FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: List of electrical connections that are unused or unplugged

My VIN:    5482

good thread Jonathan! How about the relay connector in the main electrical area that Dave uses for his hot start relay. I believe it was never used from the factory. I'm at work right now so I can't snap a pic but will tonight unless someone beats me to it...

Also the 2 harnesses on the bulkhead connector for the transmission. One will not be used and one will. It depends on auto vs manual.
    Jeff

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Small Solid Brown Wire Near Alternator

Don't have a pic, but the small solid brown wire going to the early alternators only comes up a lot.

=======

This could turn out to be a great addition to the Resources section!

Jonathan, if you want to come up with a format (e.g., location, pic, use, etc.) or need any help collecting/arranging/editing/??, PM me.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    good thread Jonathan! How about the relay connector in the main electrical area that Dave uses for his hot start relay. I believe it was never used from the factory. I'm at work right now so I can't snap a pic but will tonight unless someone beats me to it...

Also the 2 harnesses on the bulkhead connector for the transmission. One will not be used and one will. It depends on auto vs manual.
    Thanks Jeff! I might need some help on that relay you mentioned though. That's not one I know much about. Perhaps if Dave chimes in he'll explain what he knows about it. I suspect he knows a lot about many of these connectors on the car.

I'm definitely keen on including transmission specific ones. Chalk that up to my own bias by being an auto trans owner. The diagnostic plug is another good one to list out what is what.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Don't have a pic, but the small solid brown wire going to the early alternators only comes up a lot.

=======

This could turn out to be a great addition to the Resources section!

Jonathan, if you want to come up with a format (e.g., location, pic, use, etc.) or need any help collecting/arranging/editing/??, PM me.
    Thanks Ron! That brown alternator wire is one that definitely comes up a fair bit.

Oddly enough, the one that seems to come up a lot (and recently even too), but hasn't yet been mentioned here is the connector along the engine rear firewall. A 2 wire connector I believe with red wires I think. That one I still don't really understand (which is one of the things I'd like sorted out with this thread!).

It's shown in this pic (top left):

Alaska DMC engine bay connector.jpg

...and thanks for the formatting offer. I was thinking I would keep a working folder on my computer as I copy paste things from here and then once it's clear and coherent, I'd put it back into a word processing format and likely then save the whole thing as a PDF (assuming the size of the file/photos isn't outrageous).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The diagnostic plug is well documented but like most of this stuff you have to know where to look. Workshop Manual M:03:01. A coincidence, the neutral safety circuit is on the previous page.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The diagnostic plug is well documented but like most of this stuff you have to know where to look. Workshop Manual M:03:01. A coincidence, the neutral safety circuit is on the previous page.
    Actually my schematic does not show any connections for the "RPM" sensor that picks up the ring gear pulses of the flywheel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks Ron! That brown alternator wire is one that definitely comes up a fair bit.
    Thanks Ron and Jonathan. I was able to successfully test and use the brown Duceiller wire for an optional S connection that turned off the blinking condition for the DMCH Motorola alternator. My early car had the Duceiller alternator removed and the brown wire taped off. So it was unused when I got the car.

Both the S wire and the brown wire was discussed in this thread:
    DMCH Alternator
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There is wiring inside the doors that isn't used and some of it is attributed to a heated mirror option that was never realized on the cars. These are the yellow wires with singular, round connectors. Each door has them, but I'm not quite sure of all the locations or history. This was one I hope someone else can make clearer for everyone.

Attachment 59036Attachment 59037
    I found the extra wires in the doors are just enough to move the window control switches to the doors instead of the console. This is what is done in the Iron Man Delorean.
    Now the console has cup holders and a storage compartment.

Just way too conincidental that all the necessary wires are there. Perhaps this was the original concept and then it was changed to move the switches to the console.
    In any case, I have a lot less wires in the console.

And BTW, this change radically reduced the overhead and rear fire wall wiring. Perhaps a future cost savings idea in the works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2