Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 162

Thread: What is the “easiest” engine swap thats most reliable to most HP?

  1. #91
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,912

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Reliability can only be as good as the craftsmanship of the work. That goes for all of the engine swaps and mods. And if you overdo the HP you will decrease the longevity of the transaxle, the next weak link. As for the expense, it is going to far less expensive and a whole lot quicker (and more reliable) to just get a faster car. IMHO the cheapest way to get the most HP in a Delorean is a turbo and to make it better add EFI. For short sprints you don't need intercoolers but water/meth injection is probably a good idea. If you recall, this was the concept behind the collaboration of DMC and Legend Industries. They wanted to improve performance and the easiest way to go was to put two turbos on the car. Of course they had to be concerned with emissions certification, warranties and reliability, none of this is important to owners doing engine swaps.
    David Teitelbaum

  2. #92
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,261

    My VIN:    01049

    Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
    I agree with Marc too. Another point for a swap is reliability.. For example, an unmodified LS will be more reliable than a modified PRV with forced induction.
    Talking to yourself, lol?

    There are a few things I would consider mandatory reliability mods to an LS while it is waiting on a stand (oil pump, trunion bearings).
    -Mike
    1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  3. #93
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,261

    My VIN:    01049

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Reliability can only be as good as the craftsmanship of the work. That goes for all of the engine swaps and mods. And if you overdo the HP you will decrease the longevity of the transaxle, the next weak link. As for the expense, it is going to far less expensive and a whole lot quicker (and more reliable) to just get a faster car. IMHO the cheapest way to get the most HP in a Delorean is a turbo and to make it better add EFI. For short sprints you don't need intercoolers but water/meth injection is probably a good idea. If you recall, this was the concept behind the collaboration of DMC and Legend Industries. They wanted to improve performance and the easiest way to go was to put two turbos on the car. Of course they had to be concerned with emissions certification, warranties and reliability, none of this is important to owners doing engine swaps.
    I acknowledge that you have written a comment.
    -Mike
    1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  4. #94
    Assbassador Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,504

    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I acknowledge that you have written a comment.
    David has what we call a "Firm grasp on the obvious".

  5. #95
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,261

    My VIN:    01049

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    David has what we call a "Firm grasp on the obvious".
    I'd like to firmly grasp you in a hug.
    -Mike
    1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  6. #96
    Assbassador Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,504

    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I'd like to firmly grasp you in a hug.
    Is there any other way?

  7. #97
    Assbassador Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,504

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    ...it is going to far less expensive and a whole lot quicker (and more reliable) to just get a faster car.
    LOL..in other words, just get any other car. Go outside and throw a rock, whatever car it hits will be faster and more reliable,...buy it.

    Open the classifieds. Close your eyes and point. The car your finger lands on will be faster and more reliable, buy it.

    Offer to trade with the first person that wants a DeLorean, the car you get will be faster and more reliable.

    There may be other ways, but you did want the "easiest".

  8. #98
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,261

    My VIN:    01049

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    LOL..in other words, just get any other car. Go outside and throw a rock, whatever car it hits will be faster and more reliable,...buy it.

    Open the classifieds. Close your eyes and point. The car your finger lands on will be faster and more reliable, buy it.

    Offer to trade with the first person that wants a DeLorean, the car you get will be faster and more reliable.

    There may be other ways, but you did want the "easiest".
    I wanted a faster car, so I bought a faster car. Then I bought another faster car. Then I made my DeLorean faster.
    -Mike
    1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  New Jersey

    Posts:    164

    My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I did everything I could to make K-jet turbo work like modern EFI and it was a colossal waste of time and resources.
    Hmm.. Legend did it back in 1981.

    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I would love to LS swap but would want to add a care bears mode if another family member were to drive.
    MegaSquirt can do that.


    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you recall, this was the concept behind the collaboration of DMC and Legend Industries. They wanted to improve performance and the easiest way to go was to put two turbos on the car. Of course they had to be concerned with emissions certification, warranties and reliability, none of this is important to owners doing engine swaps.
    And Fred Dellis was quoted as saying when they bolted turbos up to a stock DeLorean PRV, it blew up. There is a reason they spent so much time and money developing new engine internals.

    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Talking to yourself, lol?
    Yes, it is the best way to grantee intelligent conversation!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.

  10. #100
    Gess dodint's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2015

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    285

    My VIN:    10439

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    No one has dyno’d before and after getting a stage 2?
    I bought my car with Stage 2 and it got 114hp on the dyno.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •