FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the “easiest” engine swap thats most reliable to most HP?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I think the reason the final drive is "going the correct way" in a Delorean as opposed to the Lotus, in a Lotus the engine is mounted in front of the transaxle making the car mid-engined (the motor is in front of the rear wheels). That, and the direction of rotation of the motor is what causes the final drive to be spun the "wrong way". Not a problem in a Delorean. Yes, the biggest problem with engine swaps in a Delorean is the very limited choices among transaxles. If you don't use the Renault transaxle about the only other choice is the Porsche and they are not easy to find and are expensive. Newer ones have computers you have to deal with so you need to find an old one. Electric conversions are becoming more and more popular and don't require a transmission. The motor is the cheap part, the batteries and electronics to run it are the expensive part! Because electric cars have such limited range and the batteries are so expensive, (and it takes so long to recharge them) right now hybrid is the way to go so you can charge the batteries as you drive. Dave Delman's car only has a range of 25 miles. Bob Brandies's car has more range but he spent a LOT more on batteries and electronics. I think he also has regenerative braking.

If we add electric conversions to engine swaps maybe we need another thread for that.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Of course it depends on the engine, but my 4 pretty much mounted itself. Tons of room to fiddle and no cutting to frame. For me no real reason to ditch the un1
    Not knowing you, tell me about your "4"? 4 cyl?

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Not knowing you, tell me about your "4"? 4 cyl?

Gm ecotec, 2.2L with a turbo

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

lots of different porsche gearboxes out there.

A couple different types have been used in deloreans

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Gm ecotec, 2.2L with a turbo
    I did a quick search and came up empty, any chance you have a link to your swap, I'd like to read up on it?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Renault 4141 used in automatic DMC-12s was used in a lot of FWD applications. For DeLorean they flipped the ring gear and it became a RWD transaxle. Ta-dah, engineering magic! LOL

Biggest problem I could see with using a modern turbo engine/transaxle combination would be integrating the computer modules. My daily has a turbo 4 producing 230 HP & 245 lb/ft of torque. It also has six computer modules, all of which talk to each other. It is also going to turn 13 years old this year; I am sure that by now things have become even more computerized.

LS swaps are going to become so common that eventually people will be bored with them. Back when I was a teenager I went to some car shows. The number of Chevy 350s crammed into old cars and trucks was pretty high. (I even saw an S-10 with a 350 in it. Didn't handle very well, but was really good at smoking tires.) Eventually it got to the point where you were just counting the 350 swaps. (Except for the smaller engine compartments, which had Buick V6s in them.) I'm sure that the LS swap is going to be the new 350 swap, if it isn't already...
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Renault 4141 used in automatic DMC-12s was used in a lot of FWD applications. For DeLorean they flipped the ring gear and it became a RWD transaxle. Ta-dah, engineering magic! LOL

Biggest problem I could see with using a modern turbo engine/transaxle combination would be integrating the computer modules. My daily has a turbo 4 producing 230 HP & 245 lb/ft of torque. It also has six computer modules, all of which talk to each other. It is also going to turn 13 years old this year; I am sure that by now things have become even more computerized.

LS swaps are going to become so common that eventually people will be bored with them. Back when I was a teenager I went to some car shows. The number of Chevy 350s crammed into old cars and trucks was pretty high. (I even saw an S-10 with a 350 in it. Didn't handle very well, but was really good at smoking tires.) Eventually it got to the point where you were just counting the 350 swaps. (Except for the smaller engine compartments, which had Buick V6s in them.) I'm sure that the LS swap is going to be the new 350 swap, if it isn't already...
    Oh it already is, lol
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Oh it already is, lol
    Another looser DeLorean with LS swap. Boring, unimaginative, everybody agrees with me. Sad

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Another looser DeLorean with LS swap. Boring, unimaginative, everybody agrees with me. Sad
    I'll just be over here; sadly driving to 60 in less than 4 seconds... <cry cry cry>
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10201

I heard people started putting ls motors in those things cause the stock motor couldnt even get that 5000lb stainless car to 60mph.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast