FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the “easiest” engine swap thats most reliable to most HP?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That makes the pinon run the "wrong way" against the Crown wheel putting enormous stress on the teeth in the wrong direction.

I'm still wondering when this will be addressed...
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That makes the pinon run the "wrong way" against the Crown wheel putting enormous stress on the teeth in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I'm still wondering when this will be addressed...
    Lol. I think it has, by a mechanical engineer who just happened to design and commission both a bulletproof coupler and a one-piece input shaft for our gearbox. Of the 2 arguments, I tend to believe Nick....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Are you saying the DeLorean differential is running on the wrong side of the differential teeth? Because if you are, you're wrong. Yes its true that versions of the 369/UN1 run in the reverse orientation, but the pinion & diffs are cut the opposite direction to run in those orientations. In the DeLorean, the teeth are cut to run in our rear-engine configuration. A hypoid gear has a drive and a coast side, and what you're saying would mean that the DeLoeran is running on the coast side of the gear. This is not true. The DeLorean loads the drive side of the hypoid gear as intended. See below:
    Attachment 59164
    The outside of the curvature of the hypoid is the drive side; the inside is the coast side. We load the drive side.

For reference, here is a photo of an excerpt from the Renault R20 Service Manual, which uses a 369 gearbox in the front wheel drive configuration. You'll note that the differential crown gear is cut with the teeth in the reverse orientation because this is a FWD application.
    Attachment 59166
    Conversely, below is an excerpt from the DMC service manual, which uses the 369 in the RWD config. The teeth are cut for RWD.
    Attachment 59167

The weak part of the differential is the not the crown and pinion, it's the shaft between the spider gears, and the fact that there are only 2 spider gears instead of 4. I've seen multiple instances of broken spider gear shafts.

The other weak part of the transmission is the cast aluminum case. Enough load and you'll crack the aluminum case where it holds the input shaft main bearing, and dislodge the whole input shaft. Ask me how I know...

EDIT: Added service manual stuff.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Lol. I think it has, by a mechanical engineer who just happened to design and commission both a bulletproof coupler and a one-piece input shaft for our gearbox. Of the 2 arguments, I tend to believe Nick....

What I meant was, I was waiting to see what David had to say in response- his last post lacked any kind of response to Nick's regarding it. +1 though, I wouldn't challenge Nick at all when it comes to this stuff.
    Last edited by dn010; 02-01-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    What I meant was, I was waiting to see what David had to say in response- his last post lacked any kind of response to Nick's regarding it.
    Yeah, I know. I highlighted Nick's response again as unfortunately, I've seen this movie before.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    The RHB52 family seem to be generically good for around 180-200HP
    Is that for a single turbo? or twin turbo?

Of interest, I just flipped through my Legend documents again, and found this (referencing failure during testing);

"Inspection revealed that the second and third ring lands had failed. This leads to the conclusion that piston failures have been caused by inadequate land strength, not thermal problems"

This is the point the decided to go with forged Venolia pistons and a special top ring with "scuff resistant plasma moly face coating".

The document includes a nice photo of the broken ring.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Want me to take a look at your MS3.msq and see if I can figure out why you're running so rich?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Want me to take a look at your MS3.msq and see if I can figure out why you're running so rich?
    Done messing with it until spring, but thanks.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
    Is that for a single turbo? or twin turbo?
    Per turbo

Of interest, I just flipped through my Legend documents again, and found this (referencing failure during testing);

"Inspection revealed that the second and third ring lands had failed. This leads to the conclusion that piston failures have been caused by inadequate land strength, not thermal problems"
    I think we're looking at the same documents. It's a big chunk for sure. I wish they detailed what kinds of conditions those failures were occurring at. Opening the ring gap coupled with accurate tuning would probably have helped preserve the stock pistons. I'm banking on the second anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Bell: Maximum Boost
    Ring land area is the focus of most of the pounding that knock gives a piston.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Done messing with it until spring, but thanks.
    Can I buy you a donut?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

As you can tell I am asking out of complete ignorance here, so....
    With todays 4 cylinder turbo engines pumping out 240 HP and more is it easier to install one of them with it's own transmission. Or does going that route open a whole new can of worms?

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast