FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the “easiest” engine swap thats most reliable to most HP?

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I have a Spec-1 exhaust and no cats, larger air box with a CAI and a throttle body spacer. Vast improvement over stock by ditching the stock emissions crap. My car pulls nicely but new cams are in its near future! I don't need a swap cause i dont believe in them and can be expensive. Do a mild engine build with a Stage 1 or 2. For reliability, I can't knock the PRV. My car is a VERY reliable ride! I carry no tools or parts. Been that way for 4 years now. I built it right and been trouble free! I commute to work in her at least three times a week a 182 miles a day and get 24mpg climbing up and down mountains and everything!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    6125

Speaking of engine swaps...

My new favorite hobby is searching through Pick-n-Pull type salvage yards to find BMW parts for a project I'm working on... Yesterday I came across this beauty. Anybody interested in a 3.0L swap?

Last edited by Mark D; 01-22-2019 at 09:21 AM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I love that people are still going on about how the new 'throttle plates' increases performance when there is absolutely no testing done and could be actually doing worse for you.

I've had the original engine with numerous exhaust setups and the air box cut off below the filter. I wasted time with different coils and plugs/wires. I now have the B280F with EFI, spec 1 and other goodies. It is an improvement over the stock engine but I still don't consider it to be a 'vast' improvement performance wise. It's still a PRV.

I agree on the reliability of them though, as long as you've maintained it. In 17 years of ownership, neither the original nor replacement PRV has let me down, never left me stranded and never needed a tow home, thankfully.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

^ That's the whole thing that gets me; it's a chronic issue in the DeLorean performance modification scene - unsubstantiated claims of performance gains that I never, ever see anymore "proof" of than "well to me my car feels faster". Well, great, I'm happy for you that you feel your time and money were well spent, but has it actually been shown to be an improvement? How much of an improvement? Where in the power band? Frankly, I think it is dishonest of anyone selling these supposed performance improvement parts without any actual data to back up claims. I've never seen any other car community demand so little of its performance vendors.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I see talk of turbos, but I never really see anyone talk about superchargers. Is there a reason for that? I realize that they take engine power to make engine power (due to being belt driven), but it seems a lot easier for a DIY'er to fab up a mounting bracket for a small supercharger and a Y pipe to the throttle body than it does to rework the exhaust for a turbo.

I've been toying around with the idea recently. Something like an Aisin SD12, which is pretty small and gives around 10 pounds of boost (although that would need to be gated down quite a lot to stay in the safe limits of the engine, even more so for me since I have an auto and need to stay under 200 ft/lb... so like 3-5 pounds, maybe?), and it has an electrically-controlled clutch so you can turn it off when you don't need it. Or an even smaller AMR300 or AMR500, although those don't have the clutch and would be on all the time. Any of these can be had for $300-$800 on eBay, but you'll have to figure out the mounting, the bypass valve, and the belt and air connections yourself. I already have EFI on my 3.0L, so boost control and overboost protection shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I learned most of these words in the last week or so, so I probably still don't know what I'm talking about.

-- Joe
    Last edited by jangell; 01-22-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    ... the DeLorean performance modification scene
    It's a mean scene here man!!

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's a mean scene here man!!
    LOL! I love you man.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    ^ That's the whole thing that gets me; it's a chronic issue in the DeLorean performance modification scene - unsubstantiated claims of performance gains that I never, ever see anymore "proof" of than "well to me my car feels faster". Well, great, I'm happy for you that you feel your time and money were well spent, but has it actually been shown to be an improvement? How much of an improvement? Where in the power band? Frankly, I think it is dishonest of anyone selling these supposed performance improvement parts without any actual data to back up claims. I've never seen any other car community demand so little of its performance vendors.
    It's all measured by the buttmeter Mike!

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    It's all measured by the buttmeter Mike!
    True. I should have just gotten one of those $4k turbo kits that make good power.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10353

Shouldn't we all just forget the horsepower and "enjoy the ride"?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast