FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New clock install problem

My VIN:    1335

New clock install problem

I have an '81 automatic and installed a new clock today. I've run into an issue with the gear shift light remaining on after the engine has been killed and key removed. If I disconnect the clock the shifter light works as normal and goes off with the engine. I have attached some photos. Maybe it's wired up incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attach5372_20190116_150401.jpg
    Attach5370_20190116_150252.jpg

My VIN:    #1550

Hi!
    I think, as shown on your picture, you have connected the "12V+ ignition cable" which lights up the clock letters when you switch your key to ignition together with the "12V+ Backup voltage" which is always on current to backup your clock (not to show 12:00 every time you turn on the ignition). If you (in your set up turn off the ignition power, your clock gets current from the "Backup voltage" cable and stays "on".
    You should check, which of the cables (green or red) from your new clock is for lighting of your clock and which one for "time backup".
    You can check, if you turn on battery power to your photographed setup and after a minute (when your clock shows 12:01) you cut one of your two cables. The clock will turn off in every case (because it needs +12V to Backup cable AND light up cable to show function). If you now reconnect the cable, it will either show 12:00 (so you cut the "Backup voltage" cable and the clock starts again at 12:00, or it will show you 12:01 again, then you cut the "12V+ ignition" cable. In this case the clock counts on and that is what you want normally.
    If you identified your cables, simply modify your harness:
    The backup voltage cable is the Delorean harness is the (double) purple one, that should now be connected only to the Backup-voltage cable of your clock, the other one should be connected to the "+12V ign." one (I think it is the green-white one in the original harness).

I hope now it will work

Please leave a message about your progress.
    Kind regards,
    Lars.
    Last edited by larsmhh; 01-17-2019 at 07:35 AM.

My VIN:    3937

Confirm you have those rheostat wires connected correctly too. I don't know what that jumper looking thing is in your first picture and I can't see underneath on your second picture to know how you ultimately wired it up.

The backside of the rheostat wiring looks like the 1st photo in this post: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post165448

Sept. 81, auto, black interior