FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken on the side of the road: coolant leak at the otterstat.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I just used a piece of pipe from another place on the car since I had spare. Ridge or not, it’s holding just fine for many years now.
    -----Dan B.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Ridged. For... her pleasure?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10270

I have a pipe bead roller - a luxury that's useful for those few times you need it.

If you send me a pipe and return shipping I'll bead yer pipe. If ya know what I mean.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I have a pipe bead roller - a luxury that's useful for those few times you need it.

If you send me a pipe and return shipping I'll bead yer pipe. If ya know what I mean.
    Stealing my sense of humor? $50 fine!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Thanks guys -- my friend already has my pipe and is going to weld the otterstat port closed, so I should be good to go there.

-- Joe

My VIN:    10270

Normally I’d say to pick up some cheapo 1.25” aluminum tube and sell the otterstat piece, but if it’s leaking then no sense in saving it.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

whenever making coolant pipes make sure there is a bead on each end.
    Luke does it the proper way with a bead roller, you can also improvise and weld a thin bead around the circumference of the pipe. Anything to stop the clamp from slipping.

You dont want that pipe coming off, especially if you are near it. I know some guys say it is fine, but it simply is not. I have seen hoses pop off due to lack of a bead - it is a mess. Even more so if you are near it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friend wasn’t able to get the coolant pipe welded, but his friend had a perfect length pipe and the tool needed to make the bead, so now I have a brand new straight pipe that fits exactly as it should. I drove back to my dad’s on Sunday, and then back home in the DMC with zero problems over the 2.5 hour trip.

Thanks again everyone!

— Joe

Looks like I'll have to learn a new language at some point, WTF is an otterstat? lmao

It’s a temperature switch mounted on the bottom of a coolant pipe on the driver’s side of the engine bay. It turns on the cooling fans when the coolant gets hot enough. It’s also prone to leaking or falling out and dumping all your coolant on the ground. Honestly, I’m surprised it took this long for mine to fail. People turn the pipe over to reduce the chance of that. With an EFI conversion, you can use the coolant temp sensor and the ECU to control the fans instead. You could probably rig up something like that without EFI, too, if you know some electronics and can build a circuit to read the sensor.

I have no idea why it’s called an otterstat. http://store.delorean.com/p-6348-coo...otterstat.aspx

— Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast