FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can a gas flap hood go on a '82 & '83??

Who needs time machines? TechionDigit's Avatar

Can a gas flap hood go on a '82 & '83??

I've Googled, Binged, Email'd, everything. I can't find the answer.. Is it possible to have a gas flap on a '82 and '83.

Here's my thinking: It won't work because you'll need a trigger to open the gas flap but you only have a trunk (hood?) trigger. But it might work because I THINK the grip to keep the trunk down is in the same place as the gas flap.

So what's the answer can I slap a '81 hood on my '83?

The gas flap doesn't require a trigger. It just lifts up manually. I am sure that was the purpose of the locking gas cap.

Who needs time machines? TechionDigit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    The gas flap doesn't require a trigger. It just lifts up manually. I am sure that was the purpose of the locking gas cap.
    Oh, I didn't know the gas flap was just pulled up I thought it was like most modern gas flaps where you need a trigger pulled. Thank you very much for the help!

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by TechionDigit View Post
    Oh, I didn't know the gas flap was just pulled up I thought it was like most modern gas flaps where you need a trigger pulled. Thank you very much for the help!
    DeLoreans weren't that advanced. You even need to turn the key to start it. Yuck.

-Nick

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by TechionDigit View Post
    I

So what's the answer can I slap a '81 hood on my '83?
    Yes.

All three are interchangeable
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Gas flap hoods are rare and sought after. Because it really doesn't belong on an '83 you might consider selling the gas flap hood or trading it for a flat hood, you could come out ahead and have the correct hood. In any case all hoods can fit all cars. There are actually three versions. The first is the gas flap hood with grooves, the second is the hood without the gas flap but with grooves, and the third version is the flat hood (no gas flap and no grooves). If you use the gas flap (the earliest version for the 81's) you are supposed to also use the locking gas cap to stay correct. The flap can open even if the hood is locked.
    David Teitelbaum