FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you drive DeLoreans in Texas?

Who needs time machines? TechionDigit's Avatar

How do you drive DeLoreans in Texas?

I live in Texas and I can't drive my DeLorean due to the fact that there's no front license plate (yes it is mandatory for rear and front license plates) on my DeLorean. How am I suppose to drive it without getting that weird bracket piece because I keep getting pulled over for 'not having one' but when they walk up to me I have to manually point at it since my DeLorean is low to the ground.

Can I screw into my front bumper and place a holder with my license plate or is there another aftermarket bumper made for this issue?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by TechionDigit View Post
    I live in Texas and I can't drive my DeLorean due to the fact that there's no front license plate (yes it is mandatory for rear and front license plates) on my DeLorean. How am I suppose to drive it without getting that weird bracket piece because I keep getting pulled over for 'not having one' but when they walk up to me I have to manually point at it since my DeLorean is low to the ground.

Can I screw into my front bumper and place a holder with my license plate or is there another aftermarket bumper made for this issue?
    https://store.delorean.com/p-9721-fr...e-bracket.aspx

Old photo of my D with this bracket installed in NY:

This bracket installs where the screws are for the rock screen. There is no drilling, no screws, no altering any part of the car. You can place screws wherever you'd like in the bumper, but realize you're putting holes in a piece that costs $100s and when it comes time to sell the holes will be an eyesore.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-30-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I had my Delorean in Texas for 13 years. I was pulled over several times, and the cops never gave me a ticket for not having a front license plate. (I did find out by getting a ticket my car is 20% fast in the drivetrain)

I never would have modified my Delorean to add the license plate as its not per original design. Most cops don't know there are aftermarket options.

If you don't want to add the stupid bracket thing in the front, keep the license plate in the front with you and place it on the dashboard if you get pulled over. Explain design of the car prevents it from being mounted.

If they still give you a ticket....Ticket clinic.

My VIN:    05457

Here in MN I am also required to have a front plate, but I don't. My car had one screwed into the front bumper and I removed it. I still have the holes in my bumper.

I have never been pulled over due to a lack of a front plate, but I only do about 2,000 miles a year. Still, even if I did get pulled over I'd just pay the ticket if it was an issue.

After 11 years of ownership without a front plate, I'm not too worried. If I were you I wouldn't have a front plate.
    David Proehl

I'm not sure what everyone has against the new design bracket or the fact that it even exists, but it was simply unfasten 3 nuts, insert the bracket, fasten the 3 nuts and put the plate on. There is nothing about this bracket that prevents you from installing it due to the design of the car. I already had a hell of a time in NY getting pulled over for every little nonsensical thing, I couldn't imagine driving with no front plate there. For $50, you can save yourself the wasted time of being pulled over, the ticket cost and the embarrassment of sitting on the side of the road, door open, with a cruiser behind you.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

Yeah, but front licence plates just look terrible and spoil the look of the car. I've owned my DeLorean for 10+ years now and have never had a front plate. No issues with the police. I haven't had a front plate on my Jeep since 2014 and no issues there either.

I'm sure if I got pulled over for speeding or something the cop might tack that on, but at worst that would be a fix-it-ticket. IE: Install license plate temporarily to not have to pay a fine, then just remove it again later. I've got one of those aftermarket brackets that bolts onto the rock screen if I would need it. The PO bought it and it came with the car.
    Last edited by Mark D; 01-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.

I apologize, I was responding to the question in regards to the legal aspect of it, not the appearance or preference aspect. Seems the OP doesn't want to get pulled over all the time and it is an issue for him - I guess I can relate there. Glad I live in Florida now with only one plate - I agree I didn't like the look of the front plate either, but...
    Last edited by dn010; 01-30-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yeah, but front licence plates just look terrible and spoil the look of the car.
    Ditto. If you own a DeLorean, $50 isn't going to break you, but odds are the reason you own a DeLorean is because you love the look of the car. For me placing a plate on the front detracts from why I own it in the first place.
    David Proehl

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

front plate

I made a bracket with a hinge on it that allows
    the wind to push it horizontal and not block the
    radiator. At car shows I just pin it back.

Texas front liscense plate

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I made a bracket with a hinge on it that allows
    the wind to push it horizontal and not block the
    radiator. At car shows I just pin it back.
    In Texas, if you register your Delorean as an antique vehicle, you do not need , nor are you given a front liscense plate---also you are not required to have an annual vehicle inspection---antique liscense is good for 5 year period, Cost me about $65 for 5 year period. All my collector/classic cars are registered as antique.

Leroy 2126

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast