FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you drive DeLoreans in Texas?

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

BE7D0AA4-15B1-48EA-852B-4D6177A3B014.jpg

I’ve got a power folding front plate on one of mine. Can’t say I fold mine much on this car, I don’t mind the plate look

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Police are trained to aim their radar or Laser at the front plate because it is made to be very reflective and is flat so they get a good signal. It also makes them look at the plate. Also Police cars now have plate readers on them so they want that front plate for that. I can agree that the plate detracts from the look of the car but if you are required to have it then just get the bracket so at least you don't have to drill holes in the bumper. Not having that front plate also gives the Police "probable cause" to pull you over and then take you apart. Like having tinted windows or a bad taillight bulb. Sometimes they need an excuse to pull you over. They catch a lot of bad people that way.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There was a truck driver who got caught going over the George Washiington Bridge doing that with his license plate to avoid tolls. They caught him and made a big example of him.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The Police are trained to aim their radar or Laser at the front plate because it is made to be very reflective and is flat so they get a good signal.

I'm sorry, but you know this how? We were never trained to point our RADAR guns at the license plate specifically, in fact, good luck aiming at anything specific on a vehicle half a mile away with a RADAR gun - you have no idea what part of the car the waves are bouncing off of. This is when we were bored and actually wanted to get out and use the gun as opposed to relaxing in the seat and use the vehicle mounted RADAR, which does just as good a job delivering the speed readings without even touching it.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-30-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There was a truck driver who got caught going over the George Washiington Bridge doing that with his license plate to avoid tolls. They caught him and made a big example of him.
    I remember that story well, he'd been doing it for awhile too if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by leroylem View Post
    In Texas, if you register your Delorean as an antique vehicle, you do not need , nor are you given a front liscense plate---also you are not required to have an annual vehicle inspection---antique liscense is good for 5 year period, Cost me about $65 for 5 year period. All my collector/classic cars are registered as antique.

Leroy 2126
    +1

Everything Leroy said is spot on.

I live in Texas too. No front plate provided, no bracket, no holes, no inspection, single rear plate good for 5 years, cost around $65-70. This is my second 5-year run...absolutely no problem with police.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

This may be too little too late but hell, 3m double sided tape. I could fashion a bracket in an hour to stick on the underside of the bumper(above the screen) and it would not come off unless I wanted it to. If I ever wanted to sell the car, tbe tape can be released with a little elbow grease and light solvent. I used the same method on my headlight cover brackets and that was just 4 tiny pieces of double sided tape about 1/2" square. Held in place just fine and came of easy peasy when I got tired of the look.

Swing by a auto parts store and see if there is some kind of universal bracket to mount your tag to, a piece of angle bracket should work perfectly. After you cut it, grind the sharp edges, maybe paint it matt black(leaving the tape contact side unpainted), clean the bumper surface where tape will hit, mount low enough to where the bottom of the tag rests against the lower spoiler for extra support and you may have to decrease the right angle to match the the angle of the lower fascia. Done!
    20150104_140610.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 01-30-2019 at 07:04 PM.

A little off topic, but has anyone filled the license plate holes in the front bumper. I could see it being an issue as the black part of the bumper is not painted. I would love to fill the holes and relocate my front plate.
    Jason

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    BE7D0AA4-15B1-48EA-852B-4D6177A3B014.jpg

I’ve got a power folding front plate on one of mine. Can’t say I fold mine much on this car, I don’t mind the plate look
    Can you post a video of it actuating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1

Everything Leroy said is spot on.

I live in Texas too. No front plate provided, no bracket, no holes, no inspection, single rear plate good for 5 years, cost around $65-70. This is my second 5-year run...absolutely no problem with police.

Thomas

What are the driving limitations that go with that plate. Is it technically just for parades and car shows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast