FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Frustrated Reinstalling Transmission

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Super Frustrated Reinstalling Transmission

So I'm in the process of trying to get my transmission reinstalled and I am hitting a literal wall. I get the engine and transmission tilted as best I can to try to get everything lined up, get the spline in line with the bearing, go to insert and bonk. It's like I am continually hitting the edge of the bearing wall and no amount of shifting the transmission around seems to work. At one point I realized the angles were resulting in the rear of the transmission getting caught but I resolved that. Any suggestions or anything else I might be catching on that one can think of? I read through Bitsyncmaster's thread since he just reinstalled his but nothing suggested there seemed to help.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Yes. What I've done to mate transmission/engines together before is to go to the hardware store and pick up some bolts of the same thread/pitch as the bellhousing to engine bolts, but much longer (twice or more). Then I cut the heads off of those long bolts, and screw the now studs into the engine. You've now effectively created guide pins. That will help out a lot.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Yes. What I've done to mate transmission/engines together before is to go to the hardware store and pick up some bolts of the same thread/pitch as the bellhousing to engine bolts, but much longer (twice or more). Then I cut the heads off of those long bolts, and screw the now studs into the engine. You've now effectively created guide pins. That will help out a lot.
    +1. I used 4 M10 x 80mm bolts . If you get the gearbox correctly aligned with the engine, it should not hang up.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03572

Do you have the engine supported at the "front" (rear of the car)? Before I pulled my transmission I made a "bracket" to hold the engine in the correct angle. I had read that the engine will tilt back when the transmission is removed.

I also did the two bolt (cut head off) to guide me. Those bolts can't be to long since your space is limited fitting the transmission. But long enough that when installed you can grip the shank with vise grips to remove them.

Here is a photo of my guide bolts which I remember were probably a little to long but worked for me.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bolts

Cut a screwdriver slot in the end of the bolt...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Is it a manual? If so - did you use a clutch alignment tool? Stupid question but crazier things have happened.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Is it a manual? If so - did you use a clutch alignment tool? Stupid question but crazier things have happened.
    This was my question as well. If the input shaft is in the splines, but the shaft wont go into the pilot bearing, the disc may not be aligned properly on the flywheel.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Also double check that the dowel pins are in the right holes.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give em a shot tomorrow. Also yes I did use the alignment tool. It goes in just fine so it really is just an angle thing.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

If angle is a problem, You can try a jack under the front of the engine to get the flywheel side tilted down. Or if the jack is in the way you can use a ratchet strap connected to the front of the engine and the crossbrace.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast