FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Super Frustrated Reinstalling Transmission

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

It's been a while since I had the case split open....and I don't have the manual in front of me. But IIRC, there is a single crown gear (I think it is called) that can be flipped to remedy situation. Check the forum for more info....
    The hassle is of course removing the transmission, cracking it, flipping, resealing (hard to get it not to leak) and then going through the whole reinstall.

Me, I'd consider suing for incompetence and the cost of the rework..... or at least a 100% refund.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Take the transmission out, split the case, flip the diff. Put case back together, put transmission in car.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    It's been a while since I had the case split open....and I don't have the manual in front of me. But IIRC, there is a single crown gear (I think it is called) that can be flipped to remedy situation. Check the forum for more info....
    The hassle is of course removing the transmission, cracking it, flipping, resealing (hard to get it not to leak) and then going through the whole reinstall.

Me, I'd consider suing for incompetence and the cost of the rework..... or at least a 100% refund.
    Yea...Christ. I'm supposed to move in a month and a half and now this.

Not sure what the hell to do at this point.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    OK I think its worse than I thought...when in neutral and gears 1-5 the wheels move backward...and in actual reverse they move forward. Was I sold a badly "rebuilt" transmission? Its like it came from a car with a front mounted engine where everything would be reversed.
    No I bought it from John Hervey who claimed it was rebuilt. I'm regretting ever having done so now. It took him months to deliver it, I had to wait till it was warm again to work on the car...and now this absolute bull**it. Oh and his magic seals leak. I wasted an entire year and months of labor only to end up in a crap situation.
    Yea...Christ. I'm supposed to move in a month and a half and now this.

Not sure what the hell to do at this point.
    Oh boy, that's disheartening. Hervey definitely struck again. He needs to make this rookie rebuild mistake right....no excuses.

I agree with the previous comments on what technical steps to follow. In case you find yourself on your own, here's my manual transmission rebuild thread if it helps:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ox-flaw-repair

Also, let us know if you have any questions.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I doubt John H actually did the rebuild, he either had it done or whoever he got the trans from did it. In any case he is responsible for this but it is entirely fixable. He should offer something to make it right unless you got the trans at a big discount. Anyway the worst part is you are going to have to take the trans out, open it up, flip the Diff, close it up and reinstall the whole thing again. It can be done in 1 day if you have some help, good tools and a good place to work. Probably the best idea is to move and worry about this afterwards.
    David Teitelbaum

We shall see. I shot him an e-mail with the details and my proposal. I'll try to call him tomorrow too (if he answers).

Worst case if I don't get any assistance I think my best option will be to clean up and reinstall my old transmission as a temp solution (it works...it just isn't great) and deal with the rebuilt one once I am in California. Then I'll have the time. Good thing I didn't send the old one back as a core right off the bat. I was worried just this kind of thing would happen.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

We shall see. I shot him an e-mail with the details and my proposal. I'll try to call him tomorrow too (if he answers).

Worst case if I don't get any assistance I think my best option will be to clean up and reinstall my old transmission as a temp solution (it works...it just isn't great) and deal with the rebuilt one once I am in California. Then I'll have the time. Good thing I didn't send the old one back as a core right off the bat. I was worried just this kind of thing would happen.
    It's worth opening it up then, gives you a chance to see the teeth on the sliding gear/synchros, check the roll pin (double?) etc. before you put it back in the car.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

So how fast and prolonged can one safely drive on the reverse (which is now my single drive) gear? Just asking for planning purposes if I end up trying to limp it to a shop in its current state.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Just pretend it is in 1st and watch your tach. The ratios are very close 3.364 v/s 3.1818.

So reading the following page...

http://www.ls1delorean.com/2011/10/i...nsmission.html

I'm trying to understand what "flip the differential" entails exactly. Having no experience on this matter...do the gears shafts just kinda float in the case allowing one to get the diff back in on the opposite side?

EDIT: Nevermind...that's exactly what it is. Should have just watched this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaglMfUszU

PS: Thank you website and youtube video makers.
    Last edited by AirmanPika; 06-19-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast