FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Super Frustrated Reinstalling Transmission

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Connect the two wires that go to the "O" switch together and (with the ignition key on) the fans should run. Put the wires back on the switch and heat the car up. If the fans don't run replace the "O" switch. make sure you have the uprated circuit breaker for the cooling fans.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Well I haven't had any luck thus far with the fans. I jumped the otterstat connectors with no luck. I also looked at my fuses again and I seem to have installed the fan fail fuse fix years ago too and those are also good. Gonna have to continue to troubleshoot the fans.

In the meantime I popped the fuel tank panel and as expected the rust mitigation I did 10 years ago wasn't so great. I'll have to strip the panel and frame parts as best I can and coat em with POR 15 methinks. Luckily it is still solid.

panelrust.jpg

Totally unrelated to the transmission at this stage...but I fixed the fans. Turns out relay 6 (not commonly related to the usual fan fail fix) was giving me issues connection wise relating to the fans. They work again after a few reseats to get it going again.

I also gave the frame and closing panel a primer, POR 15, and final smoke gray spray coat. Hopefully this will hold up better than my last mitigation attempt 10 years ago.

Looks like I also need to tighten up one of the hoses on the top left of the radiator. Its been leaking badly at top temp since my overheat.

IMG_8338.jpg
    Last edited by AirmanPika; 06-17-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Well I have a problem. I finally got the car down...and the only gear that works is reverse. Any thoughts?

OK I think its worse than I thought...when in neutral and gears 1-5 the wheels move backward...and in actual reverse they move forward. Was I sold a badly "rebuilt" transmission? Its like it came from a car with a front mounted engine where everything would be reversed.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

You rebuilt the transmission based on the manual, right? It is written for a FRONT MOUNTED transmission, not a rear mounted one! Luckily, all that is required is flipping one gear around.....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    You rebuilt the transmission based on the manual, right? It is written for a FRONT MOUNTED transmission, not a rear mounted one! Luckily, all that is required is flipping one gear around.....
    No I bought it from John Hervey who claimed it was rebuilt. I'm regretting ever having done so now. It took him months to deliver it, I had to wait till it was warm again to work on the car...and now this absolute bull**it. Oh and his magic seals leak. I wasted an entire year and months of labor only to end up in a crap situation.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bummer

Don't feel bad I did the same thing!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    No I bought it from John Hervey who claimed it was rebuilt. I'm regretting ever having done so now. It took him months to deliver it, I had to wait till it was warm again to work on the car...and now this absolute bull**it. Oh and his magic seals leak.
    And I thought it was an urban legend.....lol....glad to hear that it was Hervey and not you that made the mistake, but sorry that you have to go through it. Hervey strikes again.....
    But, allow me to laugh at him and his 'expertise'....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

So how hard is it to fix this? Would I have to have all the tools required for a transmission rebuild or is it an easy gear flip I could do with minimal effort? I'm sure Hervey will do his upmost to not answer or help me at this point so I'm likely on my own.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast