FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Frustrated Reinstalling Transmission

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

If it helps, here is a picture of the angle of the gearbox mated:

Make sure the engine is rigidly supported in its normal position. It want to tilt back with the gearbox removed. After that, I found that I needed to elevate the other end of the transmission. I used a the wooden piece on the jack and slid it back and forth to achieve the right angle as determined by the 4 bolts/guide pins.

Good luck
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Better late than never I guess. Now that it is warm again I took all the advice into account and the transmission finally slotted in. The angling was a bit different for me vs the photo but the same logic applied. Now I just need to remember how everything reattached. I took the original out nearly a year ago now and did a terribad job keeping track of all the parts not knowing it would be this long.

One question I have is the torque spec for the bolts mounting it to the engine. I may be just misunderstanding the manual but the closest I could find was a mention of 37 ft/lbs for 10mm bolts. Is this correct?

Anyway, glad it's finally progressing again as I need to get this car road ready to move to California later this year. Thanks everyone again for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Better late than never I guess. Now that it is warm again I took all the advice into account and the transmission finally slotted in. The angling was a bit different for me vs the photo but the same logic applied. Now I just need to remember how everything reattached. I took the original out nearly a year ago now and did a terribad job keeping track of all the parts not knowing it would be this long.

One question I have is the torque spec for the bolts mounting it to the engine. I may be just misunderstanding the manual but the closest I could find was a mention of 37 ft/lbs for 10mm bolts. Is this correct?

Anyway, glad it's finally progressing again as I need to get this car road ready to move to California later this year. Thanks everyone again for the assistance.
    Yes, that'll do. On page F:02:01, it specifies 34-41 ft/lbs for the 10mm diameter bolts. Although it doesn't call out the transmission to engine, the "Clutch Housing to Case" spec is what I used.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-25-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yes, that'll do. On page F:02:01, it specifies 34-41 ft/lbs for the 10mm diameter bolts. Although it doesn't call out the transmission to engine, the "Clutch Housing to Case" spec is what I used.
    Cool thanks.

My VIN:    00910

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    If angle is a problem, You can try a jack under the front of the engine to get the flywheel side tilted down. Or if the jack is in the way you can use a ratchet strap connected to the front of the engine and the crossbrace.
    The engine had tilted down at the rear of the car when I did mine. Fought with it for a couple of days lying on my back. When I realized the engine had tilted it went right together. I used a block of wood on a floor jack in the rear edge of the oil pan to lift the rear (front?) of the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you are underneath it can be difficult to appreciate the correct angles when you are looking up. A good reason to use the long guide pin/bolt trick to make sure you are aligned.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    The engine had tilted down at the rear of the car when I did mine. Fought with it for a couple of days lying on my back. When I realized the engine had tilted it went right together. I used a block of wood on a floor jack in the rear edge of the oil pan to lift the rear (front?) of the motor.
    Indeed

IMG_8296.jpg

Whomever designed the clutch layout on the DeLorean should be ashamed of themselves. Took me all day to connect and bleed the thing. I thoroughly shredded my hands and arms in the process. Also glad I bought the big bottle of brake fluid. Took a lot more than I expected though half of it was likely used flushing the gunk from the lines.

Welp the car is running again. I was able to get the bulk of things connected back up and for good measure since the system was drained I swapped a couple coolant hoses that I missed when I replaced em all years ago.

Got a few areas to address. First is I noticed the fans are not kicking on so I'll need to check if the otterstat is bad again or if it is something else. Luckily plenty of threads on that subject to read up on. Second is I can't get the car into reverse so I am guessing I need to adjust the cable there. Finally, I need to pop the fuel tank plate and address some corrosion that seems to have occurred since I was last in there about 10 years ago. I don't have any new brake/clutch fluid leaks so it is likely just some badly touched up areas.

Hopefully once these are addressed I'll be able to get the car on the road and start seeing how the replacement transmission really behaves. Its nice making progress again.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Welp the car is running again. I was able to get the bulk of things connected back up and for good measure since the system was drained I swapped a couple coolant hoses that I missed when I replaced em all years ago.

Got a few areas to address. First is I noticed the fans are not kicking on so I'll need to check if the otterstat is bad again or if it is something else. Luckily plenty of threads on that subject to read up on. Second is I can't get the car into reverse so I am guessing I need to adjust the cable there. Finally, I need to pop the fuel tank plate and address some corrosion that seems to have occurred since I was last in there about 10 years ago. I don't have any new brake/clutch fluid leaks so it is likely just some badly touched up areas.

Hopefully once these are addressed I'll be able to get the car on the road and start seeing how the replacement transmission really behaves. Its nice making progress again.
    Good news. For the fans coming on, look for corrosion at the otterstat connections. That happened to me when I first got my car and was a simple fix.
    Dana

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast