FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CAR WIZARD Dives into DeLorean Fuel System!

My VIN:    6313

CAR WIZARD Dives into DeLorean Fuel System!

Car Wizard works on the Hoovies cars. He's replacing (or intended to replace) the fuel pump unit in this video.

Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Car Wizard works on the Hoovies cars. He's replacing (or intended to replace) the fuel pump unit in this video.

FYI, the pump he pulled out was a John Hervey aftermarket special. I’m surprised it didn’t have the tuna can under it. He started selling those about 10-12 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    FYI, the pump he pulled out was a John Hervey aftermarket special. I’m surprised it didn’t have the tuna can under it. He started selling those about 10-12 years ago.

The host described it as "Mississippi Engineering" .

Apologies to anyone living in that state.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    That was a factory setup in there, not John's. You can see the stock pickup assembly and hose inside the tank. It appears the pickup hose broke and was repaired in some odd way instead of replaced. Clearly the repair didn't hold up, broke off and that's why it was cutting out. When accelerating, the fuel goes to the back of the tank and that pump was just sucking up air.

I'm surprised that mechanic didn't inspect the setup before ordering parts. With a system he wasn't familiar with, he really should have explored it first to see what needed to be done and then order the appropriate parts. I wonder if they will end up just getting stock style parts or go with DMCH replacement? The whole pickup assembly and sender have to be replaced.

My VIN:    10353

I really enjoy watching his videos however was pretty annoyed with him using his feet to push open the door in the beginning "exercise" segment. Can only imagine all the grease and oils on the bottom of his shoes now rubbed into the door panel, thanks guy, not funny.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

You sound like he did it to your car.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    You sound like he did it to your car.
    Well having people jump in my car at shows when my back is turned has made me a bit more cynical when I see others acting like this. He's the mechanic, not the owner, have some respect. Maybe if hoovie was standing next to him counting the reps like he was okay with it would have been fine, but if I saw some video of my mechanic acting like this with my car without my consent I'd be pretty upset.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You have to appreciate that this is all being done for entertainment value. As such, things will be done differently. Hoovie was probably there during the filming and editing and this is how they wanted to do it. Usually this stuff is all rehearsed and they had seen the mess already. For all we know they could have done multiple takes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

CAR WIZARD Dives into DeLorean Fuel System!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    That was a factory setup in there, not John's. You can see the stock pickup assembly and hose inside the tank. It appears the pickup hose broke and was repaired in some odd way instead of replaced. Clearly the repair didn't hold up, broke off and that's why it was cutting out. When accelerating, the fuel goes to the back of the tank and that pump was just sucking up air.

I'm surprised that mechanic didn't inspect the setup before ordering parts. With a system he wasn't familiar with, he really should have explored it first to see what needed to be done and then order the appropriate parts. I wonder if they will end up just getting stock style parts or go with DMCH replacement? The whole pickup assembly and sender have to be replaced.
    I’m 99.99% sure the small diameter pump assembly with the thick rubber hose used as a filler between the OEM style boot, is a Hervey product. You can clearly see the rubber filler in the boot when he is examining the deterioration. It’s likely the PO just wanted to keep the OE baffle assembly and chose to cobble it together to make it work. I have not looked on Herveys site for a couple years. He may not sell that pump assembly anymore In lew of the GM pump modules being used these days.

Edit: I just looked on his site. He doesn’t appear to sell it anymore, but there was at time period that he did back when the supply of direct fit OE pumps had become scarce.

Last edited by DMC5180; 02-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I really enjoy watching his videos however was pretty annoyed with him using his feet to push open the door in the beginning "exercise" segment. Can only imagine all the grease and oils on the bottom of his shoes now rubbed into the door panel, thanks guy, not funny.
    This is some strange white knighting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast