FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: door seal driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Send the link if you can. It wasn't me, but I'd like to see what they did.
    Check it out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJM5v66Wpew&t=708s

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Found it.
    Yep not me.

Found it.
    Yep not me.
    Is that basically what you did?

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Is that basically what you did?
    Very close.
    I used the weather stripping all the way around.
    Any areas that had a larger gap filled I put two layers. Instead of using a bulb like he did.
    The top layer was one continuous strip. So the double areas wouldn't have sharp stops to them.
    For the retainer I just reused the ones I had on the car by removing the bulbs.
    The ones I had were not the solid extruded ones so removing the bulb was easy.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The fiber glass forms a "gutter", that's why when you open the door in the rain it doesn't come pouring in off the roof.
    Yes, I know how it works, LOL. My problem was never the roof leaking down (except that time my headliner material was too long and soaked water), my problem was water leaking between the seal and door on its way down the sides of the door. It would drip down onto the carpet and I always had a mess. This was back in the early 2000s when I doubt I even had good outer seals to take care of a lot of the water so who knows what would have happened with new seals installed back then. I just want A - my doors to close properly with ease and B - a seal that doesn't leak during those times I'm inevitably going to have the car out in the rain.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I've also had a lot of trouble with my seals. I have some old DMC Houston ones that are torn and are grabbed by the doors when I open them, but they keep the water out.

I got some DeLorean Go ones and tried to install them today, but unfortunately they don't work for me. I have an early '81, and after putting the seals on, the doors basically wouldn't close without a lot of force. They close just fine with no seals on them, but with the Go seals I really have to slam them, and they popped off completely near the A pillar.

I put old seals back on for now. Maybe in the spring when it's warmer I'll give the Go seals another try. I would quite like to have properly working seals and to actually use my door launchers again.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I've also had a lot of trouble with my seals. I have some old DMC Houston ones that are torn and are grabbed by the doors when I open them, but they keep the water out.

I got some DeLorean Go ones and tried to install them today, but unfortunately they don't work for me. I have an early '81, and after putting the seals on, the doors basically wouldn't close without a lot of force. They close just fine with no seals on them, but with the Go seals I really have to slam them, and they popped off completely near the A pillar.

I put old seals back on for now. Maybe in the spring when it's warmer I'll give the Go seals another try. I would quite like to have properly working seals and to actually use my door launchers again.

-- Joe
    I haven't received my delorean go seals yet, so I can't report back yet. What a pain eh?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3