FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: door seal driving me nuts!

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

The New DMC Houston seals were the ones that worked for me. I am pretty satisfied about DeloreanGo and their products, but their door seal was shit... (For my car at least)
    First of all I could see sun shining through at the drivers side A pillar, And the seal was so sticky it got stuck to itself and got torn apart while closing the door. But I guess soaking it with silicone spray while installing would have fixed that issue.
    Luckily they were cheap... I know other people are satisfied with them. But every car is different.
    Last edited by Bullitt; 02-06-2019 at 01:48 AM.
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I agree, I think the vendor offered seals are good for certain cars, not so good for others. That said, I still have issues with my doors. Same as you - close great and easy when there are no seals installed. Put a seal on and I can barely close the driver door, have to SLAM both doors in order for it to latch. Silicone spray helped a little but I'm in the same position as you with wanting to have something to make life easier while also keeping the water out. I'm using DPI seals which I think are good - they don't leak one drop! But they're not good for my car. I need something lower profile. Unfortunately my doors tore up the DPI seals so I'm back to unsightly ripped seals. Let me know how those D-go seals work for you, I will need a replacement whenever I feel motivated enough to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Yeah Dana has the new style seal, I've seen it. But DMC Houston has pretty much said the seal they sent me is the only seal they offer, I even had the person on the phone go ask around the shop. I even emailed them photos of the difference and they have still maintained that I received the only seal they offer. That being said, I assume that their seal is a good product, but all of our cars are different. I would imagine that some cars have less lip around the body tub then others. DMC Houston's seals likely work on cars with less lip and keep the door from leaking, and everything is 100% functional. Other cars might have more lip around the tub, and those cars may benefit from the Delorean go style seals. I guess I'm gonna find out. The guys at DMC Florida tell me that some cars get new seals and its all easy going, and others are a fight to get them to function correctly when new seals are installed, and that they have to trouble shoot in those cases.
    Frankly I dont care who makes the best seal, or who's are more original. I just want my wife to be able to close the door, and not to damage the car on account of how hard I have to slam it to get it to close.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    The New DMC Houston seals were the ones that worked for me. I am pretty satisfied about DeloreanGo and their products, but their door seal was shit... (For my car at least)
    First of all I could see sun shining through at the drivers side A pillar, And the seal was so sticky it got stuck to itself and got torn apart while closing the door. But I guess soaking it with silicone spray while installing would have fixed that issue.
    Luckily they were cheap... I know other people are satisfied with them. But every car is different.
    Yeah, sadly DMC will not give me the new seals. I don't know why, but they just wont.
    However weird it is, I can't fault them too much as I've bought a ton of parts from them and everything has been perfect, just this one 40 dollar seal. The seal it self is perfectly brand new, and seems like a good quality. My car just does not like it, and I'd like to try the new style seal, Dana had the old style as well and could never get it to close right and he even broke his door handle during all the trouble shooting, he installed the new style and problem solved immediately. Why I seem to not get the privilege of the new style is a mystery, but hey, whacha gonna do?
    Hope the delorean go seal is a good fit for my car is all I can do. I am taking my car in to DMCFL for a complete exhaust overhaul in 2 weeks, I'll have them look at the seals for me and hopefully see what's going on. Robert is always a big help, and always has a positive attitude every time I need something. So I'm sure he will have a few ideas on how I can get the door closing. I didn't buy the seals from him, I ordered them from Huston as part of a larger order, and I haven't had the chance to take the car over to their shop yet.

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Lightbulb Mod The Seals

Just do what I did.
    Redesign the seals.
    Put rolled foam seals on the door itself.
    Then cut of the pron to fail tube and leave the retainer (or) remove it all and replace with some black edge trim retainer for a nicer look.
    This mod will NEVER bind.
    Go headed remove one seal tonight as a test.
    Enjoy how easy it is to close and open without stock seals.
    Once I'm home I'll re-post pics, I can not seem to find them right now.
    If you test the door without the original seals once you'll never go back.
    I guarantee it.
    billy.jpg

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

This is interesting. The foam doesn’t soak up water? How is it in a rain storm? In Florida we get some nasty rain...
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just do what I did.
    Redesign the seals.
    Put rolled foam seals on the door itself.
    Then cut of the pron to fail tube and leave the retainer (or) remove it all and replace with some black edge trim retainer for a nicer look.
    This mod will NEVER bind.
    Go headed remove one seal tonight as a test.
    Enjoy how easy it is to close and open without stock seals.
    Once I'm home I'll re-post pics, I can not seem to find them right now.
    If you test the door without the original seals once you'll never go back.
    I guarantee it.
    billy.jpg
    Yeah, I believe I've seen a youtube video in which this was done, Im guessing that was you?
    If I don't have this figured out soon I'll be looking for creative solutions to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    This is interesting. The foam doesn’t soak up water? How is it in a rain storm? In Florida we get some nasty rain...
    I have not had that happen.
    I believe this stuff is closed cell rubber.
    foam-tape-500x500.jpg
    It just your standard roll weather stripping. I forget the size I'd have to measure it.
    Water should never get that high unless you have a blockage.
    The fiber glass forms a "gutter", that's why when you open the door in the rain it doesn't come pouring in off the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Yeah, I believe I've seen a youtube video in which this was done, Im guessing that was you?
    If I don't have this figured out soon I'll be looking for creative solutions to this problem.
    Send the link if you can. It wasn't me, but I'd like to see what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    This is interesting. The foam doesnÂ’t soak up water? How is it in a rain storm? In Florida we get some nasty rain...
    good point!
    but I believe its the same bulb portion of seal taken from a normal seal, just separated from the groove portion. So I don't know if it will soak up water any differently then a stock seal. At least thats what I think he did.

After sitting in a parking lot for 10 minutes watching my wife struggle to close the door, I'm ready to try anything. I've done way more intense work on this car, The steering column bushing was a big pain. The valley of death job, yeah that was a lot of work, even with a seasoned vet like Dana graciously working through it with me. But I swear, nothing has frustrated me more than this damn seal. Its not that big a deal but its just the right kind of a problem to really freaking get me pissed! lol
    Just for the recored I didn't sit there watching my wife struggle with the door without helping her, We were examining the problem and she really wanted to get it shut herself. She did eventually get it, but it was so hard that I've been closing her in just to make things easier. Altho I have to slam so hard people in parking lots probably think I'm mad at her and slamming her in!
    I guess at least It might make me seem like a real gentlemen opening and closing doors for my wife. I digress...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast