FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3D printing of parts

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    3D printing is OK for prototypes but it is not very durable. IMHO it would not hold up well especially when it gets hot. 3D printed parts don't do well over 100 degrees and in a hot car it can get to over 150 degrees especially the dashboard. I made some parts for ignition wire clips (not a Delorean) and they shriveled right up. They were on the motor and it was around 180 degrees.
    You're using the wrong process and material then.

First of all, there are about 10 different types of 3D printing processes, and dozens of materials available that you can 3D print in. As such, any blanket statement made about what 3D printing can and cannot do is simply going to be wrong. If you're talking about a specific process and material -- in your case it sounds like FDM (Fused deposition modeling) with PLA filament -- then sure, the parts probably wont last when used like that. But that's the fault of the person that tried to make parts that way, not the process.

Secondly, I have 3D printed parts in my engine bay right now, and have for the last several years. The "LS1 DMC" letters on my engine covers are 3D printed polyamide. 2+ years, thousands of miles, and some pretty extreme heat driving in Florida summers, and they're still in great shape. No signs of distortion, degradation, or anything, and I can guarantee my engine bay exceeds 180 degrees. So again, it's all about the process and material you choose.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You're right of course, the materiel is all important. My machine can only print with PLA. There are machines that can use other, more durable materials but they are very expensive to own and operate. Another possibility is to send the file out and have someone print the parts for you. There are printers that can even print in metal but they are very slow and expensive right now. To print the dash would require a huge printer, that part is long for 3D printing. Breaking it up into several parts is a possibility but it may not fit well doing that and you would have the joints.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You're right of course, the materiel is all important. My machine can only print with PLA. There are machines that can use other, more durable materials but they are very expensive to own and operate. Another possibility is to send the file out and have someone print the parts for you. There are printers that can even print in metal but they are very slow and expensive right now. To print the dash would require a huge printer, that part is long for 3D printing. Breaking it up into several parts is a possibility but it may not fit well doing that and you would have the joints.
    I agree that it definitely starts getting expensive as you use more and more exotic materials and processes.

I did not print these letters myself; I had them printed through imaterialise.com. They were pretty reasonable though; I think the total cost was ~$25 plus ~$10 shipping.

I've seen some pretty impressive prints that were made in multiple pieces that are bonded together afterward. In one piece, yes the binnacle would be pretty outrageous. But in multiple prints, I think it would definitely be possible.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

A Pillar Trims

I suspect in the last few years more members have gotten 3D printers, as I have. I've been working up to ABS and am ready to start thinking about doing some A pillar trims that can be covered in vinyl, that work well for cars when the windshield is not removed to help hold them in place.

Has anyone modeled the A-pillar profile, or this part before? It would be a huge head start.

Other Parts on my to do list

I'm also looking at the A/T shift plate (Stock) and doing the sliding plastic piece that attaches to the AT gear shift under the shift plate in (flexible and rugged) TPU - the current solution tends to jam up in my car. Will do a pair of Seatbelt bolt covers for the lower rockers in ABS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I'm also looking at the A/T shift plate (Stock) and doing the sliding plastic piece that attaches to the AT gear shift under the shift plate in (flexible and rugged) TPU - the current solution tends to jam up in my car. Will do a pair of Seatbelt bolt covers for the lower rockers in ABS as well.
    That slider piece definitely needs a bit more strength. Luckily mine does not jamb up but it does require fiddling around underneath to get it operating smoothly.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10270

I've made a few interior parts in ABS but it can warp really bad on large pieces. An oven style printer with a fully heated chamber would make that better. A long thin part like the A pillar trim could be really challenging in ABS.

I did try some parts in PETG - replacements for the coin tray and ash tray, and a magsafe dock in my daily car.
    So far those parts have all held up perfectly and were a lot easier to print.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

I run a small 3D printing and laser cutting business here in the UK. My website printsolid.co.uk has a small snapshot of the type of parts I print, DeLorean owners are sure to recognise a few of them.

As said before, the usability of a printed item totally comes down to material type, product design and print setup, the same could be said about most forms of manufacturing.

And certainly larger items such as like binnacles can be printed, it would be a 2-parter on most machines, I've printed multiple items many times the size of binnacles for clients. and a lot of my work is making things look like they aren't 3D printed which is quite rewarding.

I think there is a perception that 3D printed parts should be cheap, but the reality is (especially when doing it as a business) that time if money and printing and finishing a product to a high standard is quite time consuming, and that pushes the prices up.

It's not particularly suited to mass production as such - though I have done some sizeable runs for corporate clients - but it is very well suited to small runs and bespoke items.

It's a fascinating technology which has opened up so many opportunities.

J
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 06-15-2023 at 10:49 AM.
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2