FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fan Fail light mod question

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    How about add a relay and have its trigger wire the same as the cooling fans' trigger wire, and connect the fan fail bulb to the relay's output? If the Fan Fail module has been removed you have a spare relay socket. Just a thought.
    I mentioned in my first post that the relay socket is gone.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I mentioned in my first post that the relay socket is gone.
    Oops. I should have read more carefully. Sorry!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Oops. I should have read more carefully. Sorry!
    No worries, I’m guilty of that myself quite frequently

Now that I’ve got this all sorted out I need to get rid of the FAIL part of the light so it just reads COOLING FAN. I’m using black electrical tape at the moment but I’d like something a little cleaner. I’ll pull the AC panel off and try some nail polish this weekend.

My VIN:    10XXX

I am doing something like that this week myself. How did the black electrical tape look? Could you tell that there was tape back there? I am not prepared to use black paint or nail polish. Could use a more opaque cover than electrical tape I suppose.

Like you, the PO of my car eliminated the fan fail relay altogether. I am planning on tracing the wire back from the bulb to the relay compartment because I can't locate it. There are a lot of BO wires in there. I have run a set of 5 wires from the dash to the relay compartment when I had the opportunity as "spares", so I can always use those if I have to.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I am doing something like that this week myself. How did the black electrical tape look? Could you tell that there was tape back there? I am not prepared to use black paint or nail polish. Could use a more opaque cover than electrical tape I suppose.

Like you, the PO of my car eliminated the fan fail relay altogether. I am planning on tracing the wire back from the bulb to the relay compartment because I can't locate it. There are a lot of BO wires in there. I have run a set of 5 wires from the dash to the relay compartment when I had the opportunity as "spares", so I can always use those if I have to.
    The tape looks fine. In fact, it’s still there. I took the ac panel off and figured I would paint the backside of it to make it less obvious. Well it turns out the words “Cooling Fan Fail” are tough to get to. They’re located at the end of a small tunnel that the light bulb sits in. So black electrical tape it is! I cut a piece that’s just barely enough to cover the word. I’ve since had the car at several car shows and no one has mentioned it.
    Last edited by CFI; 06-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.

My VIN:    10XXX

CFI,

You can actually temporarily detach a portion of the "decal" from the plate. Start at the corner with a jewelers screwdriver and work your way over. Then attach 2 pieces of black electrical tape between the decal and the plate, sticky sides up. The decal on mine was held to the plate by a rubber cement like product, so when done it all sealed back up nicely. As shown, the new "COOLING FAN" display, without the "FAIL" is clean and the tape is not seen since it is sandwiched. Sorry about the orientation of the picture. Sometimes I cannot edit it to make it correct.
    Attached Images
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    3294

Here's what I did. Two small 5mm blue LED's on either side of the shift lever on the center console. I tapped into the harness right before the fan connectors and extended the wiring back to the console.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    CFI,

You can actually temporarily detach a portion of the "decal" from the plate. Start at the corner with a jewelers screwdriver and work your way over. Then attach 2 pieces of black electrical tape between the decal and the plate, sticky sides up. The decal on mine was held to the plate by a rubber cement like product, so when done it all sealed back up nicely. As shown, the new "COOLING FAN" display, without the "FAIL" is clean and the tape is not seen since it is sandwiched. Sorry about the orientation of the picture. Sometimes I cannot edit it to make it correct.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Here’s what mine currently looks like:
    7CDD263E-8D70-46AF-A21A-D7F0B1719BAC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    Here's what I did. Two small 5mm blue LED's on either side of the shift lever on the center console. I tapped into the harness right before the fan connectors and extended the wiring back to the console.
    That’s an interesting variation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2