FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fan Fail light mod question

Fan Fail light mod question

I’d like to modify my fan fail light to come on when electricity is sent to the fans. However, I have the fused jumpers in place of the fail fail relay, and no relay socket. Which wires do I need to jump to make this work?

One fused jumper is connected to a black/green wire and then to a orange/black wire. The second jumper is connected to a different black/green wire and the same orange/black wire as the first jumper. Also nearby is 3 wires that are not connected to anything and blocked off with black electrical tape. They appear to be orange/black, black, and black in color.

254EC880-E90B-4C13-A8EA-5690F49860AC.jpg
    Last edited by CFI; 02-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.

My VIN:    3294

Not sure about the relay socket wiring, but I am getting ready to install two 5mm LED'S on black shift plate near the clock to indicate when the electricity is sent to the fans. My intent is to tap the fan harness near the fan connectors and run the wiring back to the console. I fried my fan fail socket and new module with too much current draw from my existing stock fans.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    03572

You would connect 12 volts to the brown/purple wire to turn on the fan fail light. The PO must have cut that wire off the removed fan fail socket.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    Not sure about the relay socket wiring, but I am getting ready to install two 5mm LED'S on black shift plate near the clock to indicate when the electricity is sent to the fans. My intent is to tap the fan harness near the fan connectors and run the wiring back to the console. I fried my fan fail socket and new module with too much current draw from my existing stock fans.
    I might have to go this route. I can’t find the brown/purple wire that Bitsyncmaster mentioned.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It sounds like the Thermal Breaker and Fan Fail Module has been eliminated. And, the Black/Orange wire at the Cooling Fan Relay now directly feeds the 2 Black/Green wires which feed the 2 Black/Orange fan wires...

If so, connecting the Black/Orange wire going to the 2 fuses to the Black/Orange wire that is taped up should turn the light on whenever the Cooling Fan Relay is energized. Then the light would show "electricity is sent to the fans", but no guarantee it's getting there.

+1 Barry's suggestion -- It's a bit harder to do but better since it would show if power actually gets to the fans, but no guarantee they are running.

Third option, and best option IMHO, is to install one of Dave,'s units.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

If so, connecting the Black/Orange wire going to the 2 fuses to the Black/Orange wire that is taped up should turn the light on whenever the Cooling Fan Relay is energized.
    Are you sure? What about the brown/purple wire Dave mentioned?

FBAB4553-66F8-46BC-9F4D-8AFC33F57779.jpg

I connected black/orange to black/orange and ran the car. The Fan Fail light now comes on when electricity is sent to the jumpers.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

How about add a relay and have its trigger wire the same as the cooling fans' trigger wire, and connect the fan fail bulb to the relay's output? If the Fan Fail module has been removed you have a spare relay socket. Just a thought.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Are you sure? What about the brown/purple wire Dave mentioned?
    Yes, assuming the other wiring is stock.

One version of the wire harness has a Brown/Purple (N/P) wire connected to the lamp instead of a Black/Orange (B/O) wire...

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    How about add a relay and have its trigger wire the same as the cooling fans' trigger wire, and connect the fan fail bulb to the relay's output? If the Fan Fail module has been removed you have a spare relay socket. Just a thought.
    That would work, but using the fan relay's trigger wire (input) instead of its output would skip testing the fan relay operation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast