FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 04254

My VIN:    Sold: 04254

Question 04254

Hey everyone! I'm curious if anyone has seen or know someone who owns VIN#04254. It's an 81 Oct. model with grey interior, 5 speed, grooves in the hood. According to CarFax the last time it was registered or any record that has popped up for it was in 2008. I do know it was seen in 2007-2008 time frame in Irvine, California but then was sold on eBay and has since disappeared. Where the heck could this car have gone in 11 years with no records? Shipped overseas? In a collection maybe? I find it odd that it has been registered since 2008 and no inspection etc.

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm actually looking to buy the car if possible. My father owned the car during my childhood from 92-2001. I grew up with this car and I was deviated when he made the decision to sell it. I've pretty much been on the lookout for it ever since. I am now at a point where I would like to try and find it and see if whoever owns it, would be willing to sell the car to me or at least know that its been taken care of after all these years. I've spent so many years trying to find it with no luck.

Any info would be great! Thanks!!
    Attached Images
    In search of VIN 04254

My VIN:    16355

To the best of my knowledge 4254 is not in New Zealand. I hope you find her, very close to mine, 4273.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean04254 View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm curious if anyone has seen or know someone who owns VIN#04254. It's an 81 Oct. model with grey interior, 5 speed, grooves in the hood. According to CarFax the last time it was registered or any record that has popped up for it was in 2008. I do know it was seen in 2007-2008 time frame in Irvine, California but then was sold on eBay and has since disappeared. Where the heck could this car have gone in 11 years with no records? Shipped overseas? In a collection maybe? I find it odd that it has been registered since 2008 and no inspection etc.

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm actually looking to buy the car if possible. My father owned the car during my childhood from 92-2001. I grew up with this car and I was deviated when he made the decision to sell it. I've pretty much been on the lookout for it ever since. I am now at a point where I would like to try and find it and see if whoever owns it, would be willing to sell the car to me or at least know that its been taken care of after all these years. I've spent so many years trying to find it with no luck.

Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    To the best of my knowledge 4254 is not in New Zealand. I hope you find her, very close to mine, 4273.
    Thanks! I hope so too. I do know that my father was the 3rd owner and bought the car in Chicago from the 2nd owner in the early 90s. The first owner passed away. I'm guessing the car is now on it's 5th or 6th owner. We sold the car to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia in which they used the car to promote the opening of their new section of the theme park, Ireland. From what I understand the car was eventually raffled off to a lucky winner. This was in 2001-2002 time frame. After that the car vanished until it popped up on eBay in 2008 I believe and was in Irvine, California. I couldn't afford to buy the car back at the time and it eventually sold but no idea to who or where. When I checked the Carfax using the VIN just out of curiosity to see if it had been inspected or registered in a certain state, it came back saying that everything the owner in California did was the last that anything had been done (according to the Carfax report). For the last 11 years I can't seem to find any new information on the car.

Now that I'm in the market to buy a DeLorean, I'm going to try my best to find 04254 and maybe see about buying it. If after sometime it looks like I can't find it or the owner doesn't want to sell, then I'll search other potential DeLorean's to buy.
    In search of VIN 04254

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the last known State was California you might try a search of the DMV records there. It may still be there or it could tell you where it went. Good hunting but even if you find it you may not want it in it's present condition or the owner may be unwilling to sell it at a price you can agree on. If you really want a Delorean you should be able to find an '81 grey 5-speed with grooves in the hood. Not that rare.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the last known State was California you might try a search of the DMV records there. It may still be there or it could tell you where it went. Good hunting but even if you find it you may not want it in it's present condition or the owner may be unwilling to sell it at a price you can agree on. If you really want a Delorean you should be able to find an '81 grey 5-speed with grooves in the hood. Not that rare.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm located in Virginia so I can see if theres a California DMV record or access to it from here and see what turns up. I have thought about the car being in different condition or wrecked or the owner just not wanting to part with it (hopefully none of those!) but all in all just want to know what happened basically. I grew up with the car and I have so many childhood memories with it that's always been a part of me. Thanks for the tip!
    In search of VIN 04254