FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Volt gauge intermittent

Volt gauge intermittent

Drove 216 miles today. About half way through my volt gauge went to 0. Pulled over, belt looked good, decided to keep going. No temperature problems, no battery light. 20 minutes later volt gauge comes back to life and registers normal. Thoughts?

My VIN:    03572

Your volt gauge has two connections. The 12 volts is shared with the temp gauge so if your temp gauge worked the bad connection would be the ground side
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Probably a bad connection to the printed circuit foil and/or a bad ground connection to the frame by the left front wheel. I would clean the ground to the frame first because it is the easiest thing to do and it probably needs it anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5312

Like everyone else here has said, ground, or connection inside the binnacle. Shouldnt be a hard issue to tack down. Check the ground first, and take the binnacle off if it happens again, clean all the contacts on the plug and put her back together. Any issues, i just did something like this working on my temp gauge so I can come help, shoot me a text
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Probably a bad connection to the printed circuit foil and/or a bad ground connection to the frame by the left front wheel. I would clean the ground to the frame first because it is the easiest thing to do and it probably needs it anyway.
    Is this the ground that is connected to the front left corner of my hood?

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Is this the ground that is connected to the front left corner of my hood?
    No, that's a different one. The one they're talking about is mounted to the frame via the radiator bracket. I sure hope memory is serving me well right now. See if I can find a pic....

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Can't believe I found this one. This is when I was replacing the steering rack but if you look to the left, you'll see a ground bundle right there and that's the one they're referring to. Easy to get at if you take the wheel off.

IMG_5782.jpg

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Can't believe I found this one. This is when I was replacing the steering rack but if you look to the left, you'll see a ground bundle right there and that's the one they're referring to. Easy to get at if you take the wheel off.

IMG_5782.jpg
    Thanks!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post

IMG_5782.jpg
    There's also good access to that ground bolt if you go in from above, via the panel in the trunk that covers the brake fluid reservoir.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There's also good access to that ground bolt if you go in from above, via the panel in the trunk that covers the brake fluid reservoir.
    +1. Here are a couple pictures from that angle:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast