FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Assebly Bill 2010 (AB-210 Smog Check Exemption)

My VIN:    16409

California Assebly Bill 2010 (AB-210 Smog Check Exemption)

ATTENTION ALL CA OWNERS!!!!!

You may have seen this news floating around FaceBook, but all CA owners need to look into this new Smog law. It revises the existing law to now except cars manufactured before 1983. On the surface that mean all 1981 and 1892 cars. I guess 1983 cars are in limbo since technically they were manufactured in 1982. Please find and write your Assemblyman to voice your support for the new law.

Assembly Member list:
    https://www.assembly.ca.gov/assemblymembers

Bill Text:
    http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201920200AB210
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10644

The next stop for the bill is the Assembly Transportation Committee. They're the most important assembly members to contact. Their email addresses are:

Remember, a lot of them are probably Back to the Future fans and have that nostalgic love of DeLoreans that we have. When you email them, include a photo of your car or a favorite photo from a club event. Let 'em see the cars that we're trying to keep on the road.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks for posting. In my area, most smog testers have switched to OBDII equipment, which is incompatible with DMC's.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    Thanks for posting. In my area, most smog testers have switched to OBDII equipment, which is incompatible with DMC's.
    Eventually there won't be enough smog shops willing to test old cars. The eqpipment is expensive, and if they don't get enough business with the old cars it's not worth the bother. There is just not enough cars from the 80's on the road to justify the old style smog equipment costs.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Eventually there won't be enough smog shops willing to test old cars. The eqpipment is expensive, and if they don't get enough business with the old cars it's not worth the bother. There is just not enough cars from the 80's on the road to justify the old style smog equipment costs.
    My last smog took like two weeks since they had to keep fixing the old broken smog machine.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Thanks for that post. Will get in touch with those folks this week.

Very timely. Ours is due for its biannual test this June. Which it always passes.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

The Bill Text web link has a tab saying the bill could be read into the committee on Feb. 14, its 31st day in print.

If it comes up on their agenda that soon then there's no time to lose.

My local assembly member is on the Transportation Committee so I messaged him first. Thanks for that list!

Only 12 more members to go.

Bumping this one to all of the California owners subject to bi-annual smog testing, especially those who have yet to contact the Transportation Committee members. This is a status note and a guide to a one-stop way to reach all of the Transportation Committee Members.

Status of the draft Assembly Bill: AB-210 now is set for a hearing in the Assembly Transportation Committee on March 25.

As noted in this thread the current draft would exempt cars through model year 1982 from any Calif. smog tests.

This gives us a week to get in touch with as many of the Transportation Committee members as we can about supporting the bill. Feel free to also be in touch with your local assembly member but unless that member is on the Transportation Committee they have no power to help at this stage. First the bill needs to be passed up out of committee.

Getting in touch with them in the next day or two, while they are still considering their position in advance of the first hearing, is important.

Easy way to advocate in favor?
    Go to this page for the Transportation Committee - it includes a Submit Petition Letter button that lets you contact the entire Transp. Committee in one go after registration. From there you can search for AB 210, which automatically puts up the Transp. Committee link. Then click the Support button and enter your thoughts for them.

Thanks for your support! Part of the draft text of the bill is here for reference:

44011. (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for the following:
    (1) All motorcycles until the department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to motorcycles.
    (2) All motor vehicles that have been issued a certificate of compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding six months.
    (3) All motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1983 model-year.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    The next stop for the bill is the Assembly Transportation Committee. They're the most important assembly members to contact. Their email addresses are:

Remember, a lot of them are probably Back to the Future fans and have that nostalgic love of DeLoreans that we have. When you email them, include a photo of your car or a favorite photo from a club event. Let 'em see the cars that we're trying to keep on the road.

My VIN:    15190

Thanks Rich, per your note, I will definitely take actions.
    It is stated - (3) All motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1983 model-year.
    I wonder if my 83 Delorean would qualify as technically it was manufactured in 82 and licensed on 83.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mburshtain View Post
    Thanks Rich, per your note, I will definitely take actions.
    It is stated - (3) All motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1983 model-year.
    I wonder if my 83 Delorean would qualify as technically it was manufactured in 82 and licensed on 83.
    Thanks for the support!

Interesting question about your '82/83 D.

Two points about that:
    1. Check your state registration card. The model year, at least as they have it in their records, is listed on it in the Model Yr field at the upper right. I guess this bill operates only on that data - if it passes.
    2. When you are in touch with the Committee you might additionally petition them to bump the limit up by a year. There's no explanation about why they capped the exemption at 1982.

I will do the same thing, come to think of it, in a second reply to the Committee. No harm in asking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast