FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Smoke from cigarette lighter socket

Smoke from cigarette lighter socket

I plugged a GPS into the cigarette lighter socket today and almost immediately smoke started pouring out of the socket. Because I’m a slow learner, I then plugged a cell phone charger into the socket with the same outcome.

I know some older vehicles have sockets that shouldn’t be used for anything other than cigarette lighters, but I’m really surprised by what happened. Anyone else experience this?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, that happened on our car once a long time ago. As I recall the lighter's hot lead or something close to it can ground to something on the lighter or under the lighter.

Pull the fuse for the lighter, then lift it straight out of its hole and see what's going on under there.

You should see one or more black/fried bits. The fix could be as simple as prying them to a new position. Adjust whatever looks wrong and then test it with fuse in place before pushing the lighter back into place. Then test it again.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03500

I had a auxiliary plug having a metal retaining ring at the bottom shorting the socket out.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

See if there is a coin or piece of metal lodged into the socket. Otherwise it should be a easy diagnosis once the socket is pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    See if there is a coin or piece of metal lodged into the socket. Otherwise it should be a easy diagnosis once the socket is pulled.
    Oooh, I hope there is money in there. I’ve purchased a lot of parts recently

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Opposite happened to me. None of anything would plug in and stay in. Slightest bump and it popped out. DMC sells a new lighter socket and been fine ever since.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    3294

I'm not sure what DMC sells as far as lighter sockets go, but I replaced mine with one from a Volkswagon Vanagon from the "GoWesty.com" website. I think it was about $19. Same electrical connectors and the same illuminated green trim ring.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Thanks guys. I pulled the socket and couldn’t see anything wrong. I’ve disconnected it for now just in case. I’d love to replace the socket with a USB charger. Maybe something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Charge...92482410&psc=1

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Thanks guys. I pulled the socket and couldn’t see anything wrong. I’ve disconnected it for now just in case. I’d love to replace the socket with a USB charger. Maybe something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Charge...92482410&psc=1
    great idea! You should do it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    3294

I put something similar to that inside my console ashtray. When you slide the ashtray cover closed, you can't tell it's even there.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81