FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto shipping companies

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Auto shipping companies

Does anyone have any experience they can share with shipping vehicles? I am moving from Connecticut to Arizona and would like to ship my daily driver (not a DeLorean).

There are a ton of companies out there, so I am not sure who would be the most reasonable and reliable. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

So far, the quotes are in the range of $925 to $1035 in an open trailer. Closed trailer was over $1500.

Thanks in advance!
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That's somewhat similar to the distance I had my DeLorean shipped when I bought it. I had it shipped on an open trailer from Portland to Atlanta. $800.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I can tell you three things about auto transport companies. Not that I've used one yet.

1. There are a lot of dubious ones with a presence on the Internet. Sure, they'll move your car, but the charges, service, coordination and overall customer care can vary widely.
    2. You may choose to stick with one of the majors. Get any Hemmings magazine to see who pays for ads they want car collectors to see and thus might have a good reputation they want to maintain.
    3. One company's rigs I see regularly delivers Tesla roadster rolling shells (final leg of trip from Lotus) to their final assembly building. The trailer usually has some other interesting customer cars along for the ride. Plycar is the name. Haven't seem them drop one yet....http://www.plycargroup.com

Like lots of things you'll likely get what you pay for. A cheap contract might give you a cheap ride.

Finally, beware of using web-based rating outfits to sort out a good auto-transport company. The web-raters tend to be paid by the auto-transport outfits. The D. community should be a good place to get references, including this thread you started.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rwipfler View Post
    3. One company's rigs I see regularly delivers Tesla roadster rolling shells (final leg of trip from Lotus) to their final assembly building. The trailer usually has some other interesting customer cars along for the ride. Plycar is the name. Haven't seem them drop one yet....http://www.plycargroup.com
    Hey Josh,

I can tell you a friend of mine used to drive for these guys (www.plycargroup.com). Definitely a top notch outfit. They do all sorts of high end stuff and they have an excellent reputation in the industry. Plus a big fat insurance policy if anything goes wrong. I don't know about prices but if I would think Plycar, Horseless Carriage, Passport or any of the other enclosed car haulers would charge you about the same. If you want to save a few bucks you could always use DAS but they used open car carrier trailers. I shipped a car with them about 4 years ago from Tennesee to the DAS terminal in Linden NJ. It cost me about $400. But the car made it in one piece which was all I cared about.

Best of luck with the move. Take care.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    15880

Just used Anytime Inc. http://www.aaaanytime.com/ to ship my DeLorean for some work to be done. Got a quote, and it was picked up within 3 days. I had the driver's cell number and it arrived on time without a scratch.

They were a little higher in price, but felt most comfortable speaking with them, compared to the other companies. Plus they gave me a nice discount on the return shipping.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rwipfler View Post
    1. There are a lot of dubious ones with a presence on the Internet. Sure, they'll move your car, but the charges, service, coordination and overall customer care can vary widely.
    All very true. We see quite a few transporters and they range from great (Passport) to dubious (two guys in an ancient truck with no rock screen, no drip pans, and no name on the truck, with junker cars dripping all over each other).

Most of the internet booking companies are just that - they take your info and money, and then put it on a bulletin board system and find the lowest bidder. They don't really know anything about the carriers they use. The dispatcher takes a cut and pays the driver less (hey - it's a business) but this often gets you someone who is just starting out and doesn't really know what they are doing. The dispatchers often screw the driver too, by telling them that the recipient should pay the driver even though the car owner already paid the company. They charge you extra for moving a non-running car but "forget" to tell the driver, who of course shows up with no winch, no helpers, and a bad attitude.

Horror stories abound, both in terms of scheduling (can I pick the car up at 11 pm Sunday night?) to service (damage to cars). If you are moving a parts car it's probably not a big deal, but if you are moving something you care about, use a branded service with their own trucks and drivers. I know of one DeLorean that was shipped and arrived missing its gas-flap hood.

If you are paying thousands to buy a car, don't scrimp on a few hundred when shipping it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I used Horseless Carriage and can say not only were they expensive, they were on time, used excellent equipment, and took really good care of the car. Plenty of insurance too. You do not want anyone who will load and unload the car multiple times, uses other carriers, no insurance, etc. My only complaint was the car was VERY dusty and the first thing I had to do was wash it. Must have gone though the desert. You also need a transporter than can handle low ground clearance cars like a Delorean and won't damage the lower control arms. Any money you think you are saving with a cheapo will cost you a LOT more when you have to repair the car and the guy you used has no insurance and tells you to file with your insurance company! When they drop the car off and RUN without going over a checklist to make sure there is no damage you will be in for a BIG surprise! And then they will tell you that's how they picked it up! A GOOD company will do a pick-up inspection AND a drop-off inspection and record it all. They also have satellite tracking.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    15880

Also, I would not recommend putting your information on a website that offers you 6 quotes at once. As soon as I hit the send button, my phone did not stop ringing for about an hour.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I just shipped 2 cars, my daily driver on an open carrier and the Delorean enclosed from GA to CA barely a month ago using 4 Corners Transport. Excellent price, excellent service. I highly recommend them.

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Thanks for all of the information, guys. Some good stuff here to go with.

I'll post my experience when all is said and done. Moving across the country isn't inexpensive, and with the price of fuel these days, it has only made it cost even more!

I appreciate your help!
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast