FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front caster/camber?

My VIN:    3880

Front caster/camber?

Am I missing something obvious, or is there really no way to adjust the caster or camber on the DeLorean's front suspension? I'm in the process of installing lowering springs (drivers side done, passengers still to do) and while I haven't set it down and checked it yet, I suspect that doing so will throw the camber. Is this not a problem when lowering a DeLorean?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TGGreene View Post
    Am I missing something obvious, or is there really no way to adjust the caster or camber on the DeLorean's front suspension? I'm in the process of installing lowering springs (drivers side done, passengers still to do) and while I haven't set it down and checked it yet, I suspect that doing so will throw the camber. Is this not a problem when lowering a DeLorean?
    It's true that the front suspension isn't adjustable for caster or camber.

Reducing the D's ride height in front will require a toe-in adjustment when finished Do not skip that adjustment.

Since you didn't ask about toe I'll guess you were already budgeting time/$ to do that.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's true that the front suspension isn't adjustable for caster or camber.

Reducing the D's ride height in front will require a toe-in adjustment when finished Do not skip that adjustment.

Since you didn't ask about toe I'll guess you were already budgeting time/$ to do that.
    I did. Seemed obvious enough from looking at the geometry that the toe-in would need adjustment. I actually have an alignment rack at my disposal and know how to use it, so no cost involved just 30 minutes or so of time. I was just a little shocked to see no obvious method of adjusting caster and camber. Didn't know if you guys were using different length upper A's or something odd like that to set camber. I've changed ride height on many American made cars (hotrods), and lowering the front of a car with shorter uppers than lowers usually throws the camber. Apparently it's not much of an issue on these cars. Thanks for the insight!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Very nice! Once I get it back on the ground and check it, I know how to correct it should it be off. Thank you!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are adjustable lower links for the rear to adjust camber after lowering the car. Or you can fab up your own. While it is true the manual says castor and camber is non-adjustable, there are ways to adjust it if you really want to. Realize that if you lower the car you reduce suspension travel and you can cause some really serious damage if you hit things, especially if you are going fast. Raised manholes, driveway dips, parking bumpers, potholes, to name a few.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

If it helps:

I lowered mine to within an inch of the design height. I didn't "slam" the front down because of my concern about hitting the fender (personal preference).

When I had the alignment done, the shop didn't express any concern about the front caster/ camber being off. As mentioned they did adjust the toe.

I installed rear adjustable lower links to get that geometry right. In fact, after lowering the front, the geometry looked more normal/level.

Here are a few pictures:

Before (when I bought the car):

After (after restoration was finished):

Note: the rear tires were 245s before, and they are 225s afterwards.

After the suspension settling for a couple years:

Front suspension unloaded:

Front suspension loaded (the car on the ground):
    Last edited by DMC-81; 02-15-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by TGGreene View Post
    I think it was Colin Chapman who said that if you build a suspension with adjustments someone will adjust them incorrectly.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

DeLorean Industries complete SPEC suspension upgrade list. Everything required to make the car handle as it should.

https://deloreanindustries.com/spec-suspension/
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    If it helps:

I lowered mine to within an inch of the design height. I didn't "slam" the front down because of my concern about hitting the fender (personal preference).

When I had the alignment done, the shop didn't express any concern about the front caster/ camber being off. As mentioned they did adjust the toe.

I installed rear adjustable lower links to get that geometry right. In fact, after lowering the front, the geometry looked more normal/level.

Here are a few pictures:

Before (when I bought the car):

After (after restoration was finished):

Note: the rear tires were 245s before, and they are 225s afterwards.

After the suspension settling for a couple years:

Front suspension unloaded:

Front suspension loaded (the car on the ground):
    That looks great!
    That's about where I'm going with mine. I'm dropping the front 1.5", and wasn't even bothering with the rear. The rear might look a tad better maybe a half an inch lower, but it doesn't need to go down but very little. I haven't decided that such a small drop would be worth the trouble - yet. I may change my mind once I set it down with the new front springs and have a look. I'm just trying to get the stance right, not going to slam it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast