FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternator/water pump belt keep burning off

My VIN:    SCEDT26T4DD016387

Club(s):   (DOA) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Alternator/water pump belt keep burning off

Yes, I've tried spinning both water pump (>10 years old) and alternator (< 2years old). Both spin as they should. Yet, I install a new belt and tension it so it doesn't slip or strain, and, within a quarter mile, I see smoke rising from the engine bay and the alternator light comes on... sure enough, belt is gone.

What else should I be looking for?

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by MacinTek View Post
    Yes, I've tried spinning both water pump (>10 years old) and alternator (< 2years old). Both spin as they should. Yet, I install a new belt and tension it so it doesn't slip or strain, and, within a quarter mile, I see smoke rising from the engine bay and the alternator light comes on... sure enough, belt is gone.

Reinstall belt. Tension as needed. Take a piece of string, holding one end, and let it fall toward the ground. Move the string toward the middle of the belt. Is the top of the belt aligned with the bottom?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Some things to check:

1) The alignment of the water pump/alternator/crank pulley to ensure they are all flush and not cocked out of alignment ( especially the alternator)

2) Is the water pump stock? Sometimes a non-stock water pump pulley makes the alignment off.

3) Is the alternator /pulley / bracket stock ?

4) Is there anything close to or actually interfering with the belt ( e.g. A different bracket or shield etc)?

5) Re-check the tension. (As mentioned above^). It doesn't need as much as one might think.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 02-16-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

What make and model of belt are you using and where did you get it (them)?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Midproduction

If you could also share pictures of your set-up that would be helpful.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Inspect the weep hole on the bottom of the neck of the water pump. If you see any staining replace the water pump. Make sure the alternator is lined up with the other pulleys. Don't overtighten the belt.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Make sure the large alternator bolt is not over-tightened. I had a similar problem and the upper bolt turned out to be the culpret. I backed off the bolt slightly and the problem was resolved.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Some things to check:

1) The alignment of the water pump/alternator/crank pulley to ensure they are all flush and not cocked out of alignment ( especially the alternator)
    This one. You probably have the spacers screwed up on the alternator mount. What alternator is it? Stand to the side of the car and sight along the belt and the two pulleys. Also look straight down - a water pump with an improperly installed pulley will do this. Make sure it matches up with the crank pulley.

Too loose is worse that too tight BTW. If too loose it will slip.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1919 & 2207

I had a similar issue many years ago. The water pump pulley is the press on type and had started to back off the shaft. The shaft has an internal thread, i used a long socket and a bolt to press it back on, then had a spacer machined up to keep on there permanently to keep it from backing off again.
    Paul Black - Vin 1919

My VIN:    3880

Quote Originally Posted by MacinTek View Post

The stock muffler is about an inch from the lower pulley and belt. That muffler gets seriously hot seriously fast. Is the factory heat shield betweent the muffler and the pully/belt still there? Mine had been broken. I made a new one out of a sheet of metal reinforced exhaust gasket material that I bought from NAPA. Cheap, looks pretty much factory, and and works perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast