FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Anti-Sway Bars

Rear Anti-Sway Bars

Time for the perennial thread..

Any news on updated rear anti-sway bars? Everything I can find says that the Addco bars are 1) no longer available 2) tended to crack the frame.

I have heard whispers that Toby Peterson may have been working on one but can't find anything recent.

Just curious.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    10270

Last time I harassed Toby, word is that the RSB project is a no-go.

The Addco mountings could probably be reworked, but the kit is no longer available and I haven't seen one come up for sale in years.

I'm slowly working on a one-off nascar style bar. You can buy bars and links in tons of sizes, so it seems easier than trying to adapt an existing bar or having one custom bent.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I was sort of afraid of that. I have a few ideas about making one as a one off but it's far outside my expertise so I'd rather have someone who understands suspension engineering do it for me!
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    6125

From a design standpoint it really interests me to see how the rear sway bars could be made to work. The previous version I've seen looks like it would be OK but with some pretty significant frame modifications to prevent the cracking issues that have already been mentioned. I think having to grind epoxy off and weld plates onto the frame would make most people shy away vs. a completely bolt on version.

Practically speaking I don't think I'd ever install a rear sway bar on my stock DeLorean but I can see the need for it on you guys with engine swapped cars. All that extra power probably amplifies the shortcomings in the handling department pretty significantly.

My goal is to cut down on the massive body roll. Even a little more roll control in the rear should go a long way to improve cornering feel. I get a little sad in our local roundabouts.

The pics of prototype aftermarket setups pass the bar through the hollow section of the cradle and use existing suspension points for the mounting. Tie the end links into the radius arm mounts at the hub carrier. Seems like a reasonable approach.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    My goal is to cut down on the massive body roll. Even a little more roll control in the rear should go a long way to improve cornering feel. I get a little sad in our local roundabouts.
    What type of suspension are you using? I don’t notice much body roll at all with my high performance suspension from DMCH.

Spax + high rate front springs. Further increasing rear spring rate or stiffening the dampers to compensate would likely compromise overall ride quality. Since Michigan roads are awful I'm trying to avoid going to rock-hard suspension.

I think body roll is OK up to a point, but when I throw the wheel hard to one side it really comes on quickly and the and understeer is surprising. There are a few videos of people autocrossing and you can the roll even at slower speeds.

My VIN:    6125

There are a few videos of people autocrossing and you can the roll even at slower speeds.
    This thread comes to mind:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?93...rossed-the-DMC

That thread is a photo essay of what a decent RSB would tame.

You can buy a kit for a VW bus so I'm surprised there aren't any options for our modest sports car.

That thread is a photo essay of what a decent RSB would tame.

You can buy a kit for a VW bus so I'm surprised there aren't any options for our modest sports car.
    How many VW busses did they sell

That thread mentions the Eibach setup, which I think is what I have. I think it handles great but I’ve never pushed my car that hard.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast