FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Thread Size

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Spindle Thread Size

I've spent all of the summer rebuilding 10287's suspension. Somewhere along the lines the threads for the angle drive end of the spindle were bruised. Does anyone know what size thread die I should try to use to fix them? I use a 1.25" wrench on the angle drive but I'm not sure if the threads are metric or SAE. Thank you
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I've spent all of the summer rebuilding 10287's suspension. Somewhere along the lines the threads for the angle drive end of the spindle were bruised. Does anyone know what size thread die I should try to use to fix them? I use a 1.25" wrench on the angle drive but I'm not sure if the threads are metric or SAE. Thank you
    I believe it would be metric. Referring to the work shop manual and personal experience the drive nut is actually a 32mm. Plus all the other nuts and bolts are metric as well.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unless they are badly damaged, a small triangular file and a lot of patience should get the threads cleaned up. There are thread restoring files you can buy. They look like a square file but each side has teeth cut for the different threads per inch (or millimeter for metric). In a pinch you can use a piece of a hacksaw blade and a rag.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The link did not work. What do you think about this, https://www.amazon.com/BILITOOLS-9-P...25664205&psc=1

DMCH sells the spindle for $54.84 but I really don't want to wrestle the spindle out of the steering knuckle and get the hub off the spindle, again.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    The link did not work. What do you think about this, https://www.amazon.com/BILITOOLS-9-P...25664205&psc=1

DMCH sells the spindle for $54.84 but I really don't want to wrestle the spindle out of the steering knuckle and get the hub off the spindle, again.
    That would be ok if the damage will allow the tool to get started straight and smoothly.

Sorry, I fixed the link. Works best for me, especially if the lead threads are smashed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That would be ok if the damage will allow the tool to get started straight and smoothly.

Sorry, I fixed the link. Works best for me, especially if the lead threads are smashed...
    Hmmm I think I will give this one a try, the lead thread is what's giving me trouble. Thanks
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the beginning threads are smooshed (a technical term meaning all f-cked up) you start from where the threads are good and work your way back to the end where the damage is. If it is really bad a die isn't the best tool to use because you will have a lot of trouble getting it started. I once had a trailer where the wheel came off and the threads got damaged. It was a mess. With a file and a lot of time and patience I got the threads good enough to get a nut back on.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the beginning threads are smooshed (a technical term meaning all f-cked up) you start from where the threads are good and work your way back to the end where the damage is. If it is really bad a die isn't the best tool to use because you will have a lot of trouble getting it started. I once had a trailer where the wheel came off and the threads got damaged. It was a mess. With a file and a lot of time and patience I got the threads good enough to get a nut back on.
    There are split dies just for this type of thing. Those dies can run around 40 plus just for that piece. If you're kinda like me and can't justify the price of a tool that you'll only use once and never see the light of day again, find a shop.
    This is the first year that I've ran into this conundrum so I went to a shop for the project I was working on. So I got acquainted with our local auto value and the shop guys they have in the back. I was never aware of the things they are able to do until this year. Sometimes you have to weigh your options for a project.

Dave B.

Dave B.

Not the greatest pictures but an idea of what I've got:

IMG_20230920_112837577.jpg

IMG_20230920_111227053.jpg
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast