FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Door lights *** Moved from How To: install GPS...###

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    After these modifications the buzzer will no longer function. There is no point in plugging it back in. There is no downside, other than you’ll have no buzzer. It affects nothing else.
    OK thanks for the really quick answer.
    I'm trying to trouble shoot a problem on the binnacle lights.

I removed the binnacle - had my speedo rebuilt and whilst at it got LED bulbs - except the incandescent one for the alternator.

I tested each LED bulb and marked each bulb so I knew which side of the bulb was positive and negative.

Next I used a simple battery powered continuity tester on the binnacle Flexi PCB and marked what (I thought) were grounds

Now, the only binnacle led bulbs that work are the ones that come on with the side lights (Dimmer is therefore turned up full ... because of the knock on LED dimmer problem).

The incandescent bulb no longer works neither does the oil light ...... thats why I was wondering if the unplugged multiplug I asked about ... was causing a continuity problem?

Edit - Thinking out loud - I should check the fuse box !!! It's late here ..... I'll check it tomorrow ... this car is fighting me grrrr!
    Last edited by SpudMurphy; 04-22-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    After these modifications the buzzer will no longer function. There is no point in plugging it back in. There is no downside, other than you’ll have no buzzer. It affects nothing else.
    this is not entirely true. Unplugging the buzzer will also make the seatbelt light on the dash no longer function.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1335

The little internal piece of the cable keeps sliding out of the square portion where the cable screws into the speedbox. There's not alot of slack to really feed it in before tightening everything up. Any tips or suggestions?

My VIN:    1335

20200514_144128.jpg

I mounted the speedbox right under the lambda counter
    It's working nicely now.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I was thinking of designing up a 3d printed bracket that bolts in place of the lambda box bracket but interfaces with the speedbox. would anyone be interested in that?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Does the speedometer needle still bounce at lower speeds after switching over to the speedbox and eliminating the angle drive? Or is the bounce inherent to the use of a cable at all?

How fast does it pick up a signal if you don’t have it wired for constant power?

How significant of a tunnel do you lose the signal in? Any other locations it’s less than perfect?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Does the speedometer needle still bounce at lower speeds after switching over to the speedbox and eliminating the angle drive? Or is the bounce inherent to the use of a cable at all?

How fast does it pick up a signal if you don’t have it wired for constant power?

How significant of a tunnel do you lose the signal in? Any other locations it’s less than perfect?
    I don’t notice any bouncing, but the needle does tend to jump up a little when you start moving. It’s definitely smoother than a stock setup.

I believe the instructions indicate that it may take up to 1 minute for satellite acquisition if it is not wired for constant power. It’s worth setting up constant power though. It’s not difficult, the speedometer will work immediately, and the power draw is tiny. If this thing kills your battery you have some very serious electrical system problems.

As far as losing signal, almost anytime you drive under a bridge you’ll notice a slight speed adjustment when you exit the other side. Your speed won’t go to zero, it will stay at whatever your last recorded speed was until satellite re-acquisition (which is immediate once the antenna has a clear view of the sky). The downside to this is if you get stuck in traffic in a tunnel (or under a bridge) your odometer will continue clicking away even though you’re not moving. It’s possible that after so many minutes the device would realize what’s going on and set the speed to zero, but I’m not sure. We have lots of bridges and tunnels where I live and I’ve never been stuck without a satellite signal for very long.

As far as other problematic locations, I would guess that driving on a narrow road with lots of thick tree cover might be problematic. Or in a deep valley. I’m not sure you’d really notice though, as again the speed doesn’t go to zero. It just varies slightly as the signal is lost and re-acquired.

I’ve had mine installed for 15 months, some 6,000 ish miles and it’s been absolutely perfect.

My VIN:    16109

Installed the SpeedBox in this '81 DeLorean using the instructions here on DMCTalk...complete success and the unit works great!

Video link (feedback appreciated)

https://youtu.be/0lhf0LE3OZM

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanTech View Post
    Installed the SpeedBox in this '81 DeLorean using the instructions here on DMCTalk...complete success and the unit works great!

Video link (feedback appreciated)

https://youtu.be/0lhf0LE3OZM
    Awesome! Glad I could help.

My VIN:    5678

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I was thinking of designing up a 3d printed bracket that bolts in place of the lambda box bracket but interfaces with the speedbox. would anyone be interested in that?
    YES!

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast